KeilKraft Pixie

Cliff 1959

I'm going to build a little summer evening cruiser and have decided to scale up a KeilKraft rubber-powered Pixie, it's a delightful little plane and will come out at 46in, very light built-up construction and lite-span covered. It'll just be three channel and weigh about 1lb.

Any ideas on motor size, speed controller and battery. I have a few 2.2 three-cell lipos but will these be a bit heavy for a model of this construction? Anyway any advice gratefully received.

pixie.jpg

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 18/02/2017 22:07:06

Advert

If you go for 100W per pound you will need...........................100W , So perhaps 3 cells is over kill cliff.

Have a look here.. **LINK**

George is always ready and happy to give advice.

I built a pix-e Major for a mate a while back and he sorted us out, it flew well on very little power.

I cant remember the spec tho....Sorry....blush

Cheers

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 18/02/2017 22:19:41

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 18/02/2017 22:20:02

Just to give a comparison this 40" semi scale weighs a bit under a pound..Complete 4

With a 150W motor and a 3S it has unlimited vertical and is fully aerobatic. More important just cruising it can (and has) flown non stop for an hour with its 1500 mAh capacity or an average of just 18W and that includes driving the radio and 4 servos!

At one pound all up even 50W will endow your Pixie with a more than adequate performance and probably give a surprising endurance as well.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 18/02/2017 23:27:36

Posted by Cliff 1959 on 18/02/2017 22:05:57:

I'm going to build a little summer evening cruiser and have decided to scale up a KeilKraft rubber-powered Pixie, it's a delightful little plane and will come out at 46in, very light built-up construction and lite-span covered.

Cliff, I scaled up the Pixie to 42" a couple of years ago.

**LINK**

It weighs 13 oz, and pootles around all day on a 2S1300 lipo. A lovely little flier on a calm evening!

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

One month today and she's on her way, I'm using all the hardware from a scrapped Ultrafly Outrage Biplane park-flyer of a similar weight including the undercarriage mounting plate which allows the undercarriage to simply spring into place inside the moulding.

tail on fuz 500.jpg

Hi Cliff.

Hope this is of use to you. I have so far 'electrified' 2 KK designs, the Chief and the Halo. In both cases the wing dihedral was halved at centre section and tips to prevent so called Dutch roll, 'tail wagging'. The batteries, motor etc, doubled the weight of these aircraft but they are still good.

Here are the specs:

The Chief: Motor PKZ4416, Batt 3-cell 11.1v, Prop 10x6 folding, RX Spektrum AR500, ESC Eflight 30A, Weight 31oz

The Halo: Motor GAD C23, Batt 2-cell 7.4v, Prop 6x5.5 APC, RX Spektrum AR6110e, ESC HiModel Pro 18A, Weight 24oz, (with ballast and a lighter tailplane and fin, the Halo has a very short nose).

Both kits came from the Vintage Model Company in their original form, here is the blog on the Chief.

**LINK**

On a calm evening at the end of a flying session with the larger aircraft packed away, this is very relaxing flying, without the pressure of an expensive mishap.

PS. I had a KK Pixie **-**!!~~# years ago when I was still at school!

Look forward to seeing your Pixie at a later date.

David

kk chief electrified.jpghalo airborne.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar need for pootling a couple of years ago so built this Mamselle 52" from an RCM&E free plan. It was scaled up from a vic Smeed design by Ray Wood in 2002 I think. Still available from MyHobbyStore. Motor in the picture was a little Walkera outrunner from dead heli with an Olympus belt reduction gear. It was noisier than a .15 glow. Now it has an eMax BL2215/20, a superb little motor. Longest flight so far on a 2 cell 1800 lipo, with thermal assistance, was 56 minutes. Had to come down because my neck was killing me.mamselle finish 2.jpg

Edited By Philflyer on 30/03/2017 23:22:40

Posted by john stones 1 on 04/04/2017 21:57:00:

Lovely Cliff, like the blue sky and clouds as well yes

Funny how the sky always looks so much better that what you remember. You watch other people's videos in foreign climes and marvel at the sky and scenery but, upon reflection, one's own is just as good!