Spektrum AR636 AS3X vs Hobby Eagle A3 3 Axis Gyro

Tom Ryall

At the second attempt I'm trying to get back in to the hobby. I have a Thrust Riot on it's way to me and although I have an Orange Rx to go with my DX6 I was wondering whether it was worth getting an aid to save the model from a similar fate to the Wot 4 Foam E!

I saw the Eagle A3 discussed with regard to the Riot but can anyone compare to that to the AR636 AS3X? Costs are spiralling so I want to keep it sensible but don't want to pile in another one.

Finally despite researching I'm slightly confused - does AS3X also include SAFE as standard? I know the AS3X will help with stabilising flight particularly in winds but if I lose orientation can it also be switched to SAFE mode to return the aircraft to level flight?

Thanks in advance.

Advert

Colin,

They look appealing and are available in the UK. I've read the page - are they siimple enough to setup once they've been bound? It looks like a case of simply binding and then connecting the servos up and adjusting the gain (presumably control surface sensitivity to movement off the 3 axis?)

Do you know if AS3X include SAFE as standard? I think I'm content to forfeit having that safety net, the main reason is for a bit of stability in winds to make the re-learning process that much less destructive!

Thanks for your reply.

Tom , easy enough but you need to download the manual from the net . A Google search will find it quickly. Seen a few in use and everyone is happy with them. I have a few Lemons in use with about 260 flights logged with no problems ! The aerials need locating in straws for protection. I switch mine off as required and on my DX9 can regulate gain from the tx but haven't checked it out yet. Easier to use than clubmates AS3x receiver that needs his PC out the field. Couldn't be bothered with that myself . Colin

Tom, it would be wise to go down the Lemon route initially to stay in budget as the AS3X is the most expensive with SAFE, but you will find that with 3 axis stabilisation that SAFE selection is a rarely neede, and in some attitudes with the model, like pointing straight down at full throttle, SAFE will not help you

6 or 7 years ago, the county University Students came to my field for me to fly foam and balsa, IC and electric combinations

With various Stabilisation onboard

ALL performed well, despite huge differences in cost

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/02/2017 18:03:49