Learning to play guitar

bouncebounce crunch

Advert

Thank you to every person posting in advice.

Ok, it looks as if around $400 dollars Aussie, or 200 Sterling will get me an affordable starter pack whether electric or acoustic. package of guitar, case/cover, tuner, amplifier if going electric.

I am of the opinion, after reading all the help given to me on this very site that it is best to visit a goodly music store and they can see me hold said guitars and see my fingers and arm in action thus sort of customising the guitar for my dimensions.

Thank you all and keep posting as it will be a fortnight before i can get to a music store.

bbc

Posted by bouncebounce crunch on 24/02/2017 04:32:52:

Tim do i read this correctly. You build your own guitars too?

Awesome.

Only in the simplest sense! From left to right, 1, 3 and 5 are the products of my own work bench, based on a wooden box or tambourine. Hardware from Ebay (there's loads available). The satisfying bit is making and fretting the neck from a baulk of timber.

YouTube is brimming with how-to videos, if you search on cigar box guitar (or even just CBG).

Still can't play for toffee though......... cheeky

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 24/02/2017 08:09:52

I dug out my guitar last night and had at it for the first time in a while. I remember now why i lost interest, i just cant concentrate on it for more than about 2 or 3 minutes before my brain turns to mush and i it all falls apart. I have had this problem with it since i started and it never got any better so i think its best i stick to flying as im pretty reasonable at that

I was given my first guitar by a mate in school, he'd given up trying to learn and no wonder, the strings were about 1/2" off the fretboard, I managed to learn a few chords and after leaving school started to lust after a Fender Tele. The problem was the price....£460 ....about the cost of a new Mini and way out of my reach.

I managed to buy a secondhand blonde Hofner Club 40 at the local youth club , got together with a few of the lads there and bought a Vox AC30 on the never never, £140 !! and we were soon doing the clubs.

We were all pretty raw, doing chart covers and lots of Chuck Berry, a lot of fun and we made a bit of cash. I managed to pay off my gear....more cash for one night than for a weeks work as an engineering apprentice.

A couple of years down the line the rhythm section decided to quit, He'd had some threatening letters from the tax man and wanted to lay low for a bit. Problem was he was the only one with a van so it all fell apart after that.

I'd been making models since school, and after failing with single channel, had success with galloping ghost radio and eventually sold the AC30 to fund a new set of Sprengbrook radio.

I can't remember what happened to the Hofner but in the 70s my wife got me a K 550 acoustic, and I got back into it. I now have the Tele I lusted after in th 60s, a Korean copy but it sounds and plays like the real thing, and a steal at £130.

My son also plays and when he moved out left a Norman acoustic and a Chinese Strat. So bbc as the guys have said earlier it doesn't matter what you start with as long as it's set up well. And if you get the bug you'll end up buying more anyway.

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 25/02/2017 11:47:39

Its interesting, but not entirely surprising amongst modellers, that the subject of making guitars has cropped up. Stuck for a present for my son last Christmas, I set out to buy 'How to make your own electric guitar' by Melvyn Hiscock, having first heard of this book from a work colleague and full-size flyer; as the proceeds of the first edition enabled Melvyn to buy and fly a full-size Rearwin Cloudster.

**LINK**

Anyway, after a few abortive attempts to get a copy, I spoke to Melvyn himself, only to discover it was sold out and he is aiming to release a third edition this coming April. I ended up buying from him its sister book, 'How to make your own acoustic guitar', which I hope may trigger some woodworking genes in my son one day.

From what Melvyn said, the book is as much a discussion about the merits and drawbacks of different types of materials and components when making a guitar, so could be a good guide to buying as well as making.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 25/02/2017 13:05:42

Jim

At one point our lineup was Club 40 - Verithin - Violin bass.

A few years ago after a Searchers concert I had a chat with John McNally, he used a Club 60 on all their early recordings, with that trademark choppy rhythm.

He told me that it eventually fell apart and was now hanging on the wall in the Hard Rock Caffe in Manila cool

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 25/02/2017 13:00:22:

........by Melvyn Hiscock, having first heard of this book from a work colleague and full-size flyer; as the proceeds of the first edition enabled Melvyn to buy and fly a full-size Rearwin Cloudster.

**LINK**

Spooky! I knew a Melvyn Hiscock at junior school in Stubbington, Hampshire, and spent quite a lot of time disussing Airfix. So, I followed the link, read his bio, and it looks like it's one and the same bloke. After nearly 50 years too.

Yikes!

tim

Looking at the original post it looks like you are interested in basic rock guitar. Pretty much any modern electric set up well by a shop should play and sound reasonable. I have found (over 35 years) that 9 gauge stings (any brand) are the best compromise of ease of playing and staying in tune.
Lessons arent compulsory, i have played in a few bands (even supported some "famous" bands) but never had a lesson. Music is about simple mathematical mathematical patterns. Learn the names of the notes for each fret on the bottom E, and the shape of the standard blues bar chord. Wherever you put your first finger on the bottom E, that is the chord you are playing. You will spot very quickly the intervals between chords are the same in each key. Eventually you will find other ways and places to play these and other chords, and realise that the pentantonic blues scale is pretty much all you need for solos, and it has the same reference method as the basic blues bar chord.
It then nust comes down to practice to get your fingers on both hands quicker and more accurate....and the bottle to get used to controlling the sound from a loud amp.....
Most of all...enjoy it.

Posted by ron evans on 25/02/2017 16:35:19:

At one point our lineup was Club 40 - Verithin - Violin bass.

When we were fifteen our line up was Hofner Senator, Hofner Verithin and some bass guitar which we bought in a music shop in Birmingham. I don't think it had a manufacturer's name on the headstock.

Hofners were very popular back then.