Does This Happen To You?

David Davis

We usually go flying on Wednesdays but if the weather's bad we have the use of an old house which is not quite ready for human habitation so we use it as a workshop.

I'm a traditional modeller. I like building models from scratch but I don't claim to be highly skilled at it.

Yesterday I was offered a model of a Robin DR 400 fitted with a Magnum two-stroke plus an OS 46LA. Free gratis and for nothing! Agreed the Robin required a fair bit of recovering but it had all of the servos. Several years ago I was given a Dave Smith Smart Move and a DB Sport and Scale Auster.

I had to turn down the Robin as I have sixteen unstarted or half-built kits in the attic.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Advert

Half built, abandoned and unstarted projects? A very common phenomenon amongst modellers, I think you'll find. Mind you, the extent to which the individual 'suffers' from it does vary. I know one chap who has been collecting ARTFs for twenty years, has a mighty stock of them and will complete only a few if he's lucky.

I have always tried to stick to one project at a time, but have broken my own rule by having two quite lengthy trad builds on the go at once at the moment. I have only one ARTF in stock that I purchased at the Nats a few years ago as it was such a bargain at half price.

My last two builds have been models (kits) that I'd had stored away for over twenty years - seemed a bit frivolous at the time to spend out on models that I knew I wouldn't be starting immediately, but as they've now been unavailable for many years I'm glad that I did buy them.

Yep. Started but unfinished projects include (but not necessarily limited to) Junkers W34, Skyways Akromaster, Flair Harvard & Cub, TopFlite 84” P47, Bf109H, Ta152H from Platt 65” 190D and the 2 190D currently being worked on… oh, and the Greenley…..However, one day.......... laugh

Edited By maurice northcott on 23/02/2017 09:26:01

The best that ever happend to me was a guy in america answered an inquiry i put on FB for a smal nitro two stroke he gave me an os20 and an os40 granted they were stuck up solid but ten minutes and both were singing and he payed postage from arizona of $20 i had to pay £15 customs duty but were can you get two sweet motors for fifteen quid ? I do have a lanzo built but wings and tail feathers need covering  being an old age pensioner ( get the violins out money is bit tightso i have to wait weeks for something stupis that you guys buy instantly but thats the way of life i do love building  ,it keeps the old brain active .frown

Edited By Bernard Koussoulos on 23/02/2017 10:17:55

I can think of three models that have been free and gratis.

A Black Horse Extra 46 that had several previous owners, one of whom had stuffed an OS91FX in the front of it. Even with the right size engine it was an evil bitch that needed to be kept muzzled.

Cambrian Akrostar - nice model but flicky though much more predictable than the Extra.

VQ(?) Yak 52 - another snappy and unpredictable model.

See any pattern there?

Given a Freestyle Katana 40 that was complete,however it had been stored in a damp shed and the motor [ SC 70] was well corroded inside and out.Wing was in a wing bag and is like new,sunlight had faded the fuzz but all still straight

With motor and radio replaced its a grand flyer. Not had a pattern type before and it just goes where you point it.