Another Shop Going?

Posted by Percy Verance on 19/03/2017 21:01:59:

Hi avtur

The shop has been trading for 28 years, and the owner says he's simply had enough and wants to get out while the going is still reasonably good. He does have someone who is interested in taking over, but nothing has been finalised as yet. If nothing comes of it, the door will close at the end of March, and any remaining stock will be sold on ebay.........

It would have to be a very brave (and wealthy) person who would buy into an LMS in todays (online and financial) environment, I wish the current owner well.

If ebay had been an option for me that would have made life so much more palatable.

Have you heard the saying ..."how do you make a small fortune out of model retailing?"

easy ... start with a large fortune !!!!

Edited By avtur on 19/03/2017 23:26:13

Advert

• 4 months later...

I do wish the new proprietor the best.

Living near Blackpool, the new location seems to suffer from the problem that Blackpool has, it is now of the beaten track. For me it appears to be a 60 mile or more round trip. On that basis it is Blackburn models or a trek to Webbies at about the same distance.

I guess that Liverpool again at the end of a road, is a destination in its own right, where people go, having reinvented itself. Neither Morecambe or Blackpool have managed that as yet. Looking at Albert Road, I am guessing it is at the beach end, when opened. I noticed a closed Toy shop, and there is a chance that Jesus will Save, if time permits.

If it were a bit more convenient for the Motorway, the catchment area would expand. Ahh well cryingAlthough there still is mail order to broaden the customer base.

Non the less, i wish the venture all the best.

• 1 month later...

We have nice model shop not far from me in Old Colwyn but only opens a few days a week and no online ordering..Lovely goods and nice guy.Keith is about my age and on the odd occasions in the past when I met him we got on well.If as and when I'm mobile again I will be visiting often now I live in Meliden ( Prestatyn ).I think anyone taking on a model shop deserves a medal and the very best of luck. The cost of balsa wood to name just one item amongst others that has shot up out of proportion. Of course the retailer suffers with this and has to pass it on.This means we utilise every bit of balsa we can. Rooting through our scrap boxes and old stock instead running to buy another length. Even in my case buying half length packs for small stuff like ribs and formers.They are quite cheap on line. This means the shop owner missing out again unfortunately. However I wish all the luck in the world to anyone starting out now.

Unless your Local Authority and utilities companies are very sympathetic , opening just for a few days a week is an expensive method of operation.

Once I had a very LMS, before they closed. The reasons given were eye opening. From memory, they went as follows, firstly the rates on the shop were levied at a high level, then came the LA demanding commercial refuse rates, any waste leaving the shop to become domestic would lead to a prosecution, electric supply had a 360 day a year standing charge, in addition to energy charges, water rates had to be paid on the basis that one tap, and surface water removal, was applicable. That is without insurance etc. Some one came from the PO demanding that they had a licence to play music, via a radio on commercial premises.

Is it any wonder that without a high turnover of goods or more accurately make a high gross profit, that LMS find it very hard to survive with possibly only 500, 000 modellers of all disciplines in the UK.

Erflog. I think you hit the problem, it's very difficult to retail in the UK. All the things the retailer has to pay, rates, utilities, wages etc. etc. before you make any profit. makes it difficult. I was a furniture agent for 30 years and my biggest problem was shops closing down. Some said they were tired working for the government and just closed as the family were not interested in running it. I don't have the luxury of a LMS so all is purchased on the internet/phone or club swapmet. My problem now is postage costs, sometimes it's cheaper to have it posted from China than from UK! I was quoted £8.40 to post a small item (less then 100g) a couple of weeks ago. For those who have a good LMS I would say enjoy it while you have it.

"My problem now is postage costs, sometimes it's cheaper to have it posted from China than from UK! I was quoted £8.40 to post a small item (less then 100g) a couple of weeks ago. "

Anecdotally, I recently bought a 100g motor for £12. It arrived on the slow boat, but it got here. I shall probably descend slightly closer to hades for avoiding the UK retailing chain (on most occasions I do use independent shops who do mail order). Hobbyking retail the motor for £19.50 by the time post is factored in, and they must be cut to the bone on prices with their pile-high-sell-cheap modus operandi.

The exact same item from an independent UK retailer is double the import cost, nearly £25, and then add the postal charge on top, so likely £30.

I would assume the retailers prices are set to make a small profit but it must be a nightmare trying to compete with the uncontrollable far eastern imports and the giant box shifters (Hobbyking), especially on the small items they must have to treat them as loss leaders.

I have for some time purchased items via China, for the reasons outlined by others, rather than the UK postal services.

I have very recently purchased items from Holland, as P&P is lower than the UK for small items.

The PO charging structure penalises, most common small items, if deeper than a common letter.

There are other reasons for not visiting the LMS, that is for most of us they are not local. The costs incurred for fuel in my case often dwarf the value of the item purchased. Then there is the time element. Now, this means at a minimum 1/2 a day, set aside, partly down to opening hours, it can require a day for Burnley, not opening to 11:00. If the model shop has poor road access, ie one way streets, multiple traffic lights and so on, this also sways where i go.

I do suspect and fear that our hobby is in decline, very much related to human rates of morbidity. The threats of restrictions to flying as posed by the proposed rules, will also have a negative effect, however light touch. In addition the pressure from massive house building projects will also have some impact, as many suburban flying locations come under some form of threat.

Until all of these challenges bite, I will continue building and flying.