All help gratefully welcomed!!

krazykop

Hi all,

I decided that i wanted to become involved with flying model planes after a mate of mine had his own plane and i thought 'I have to start doing that!'

Seeing as im on holiday from school, i spent the last few days searching around for cheap starter planes. I thought i would start elecric but ive decided that i want to go straight for a petrol one (or whatever fuel mix is used!)

I searched around and found this.

http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=ASALE2JP

What do you think?????

I am on a really tight budget and as this is an airframe only for can anyone tell me exactly what i would need to get this up and running. Keeping costs to a minimum please.

From my recent research i gather that i need:-

Engine, 4 servos, a receiver, tank, and controller.

Can anyone suggest good parts for this or anything else that i need?

Many Thanks

krazykop

Advert

Hello KrazyKop and welcome.

There are a number of similar models on the market, all good, but with model, engine, radio, etc. etc., it is going to cost you around £300 to get into the air (fuel, fuel pump...etc).  Your best bet is to firstly read the newbie threads on this forum and then visit your local club, if you have one near by, and they will be able to help you, there may even be second-hand model/radio set-ups available from them.

All the best,

Simon.

Hi and welcome to the forum krazykop.

As Simon says don’t miss the several threads dedicated to Newbies such as yourself, in the beginners section, together with the few guidelines we have listed to help you with using the forum.

Perhaps this in particular may help

And this.

Once again, welcome on board and have fun! Timbo.

PS there is a whole article dedicated to people just like yourself in this months mag! 

Welcome KK. I reckon you will need to budget £250 to get properly under way

I/C Trainer Package - All In

Add another £20 - £30 for accessories and you're off.

On top of that you need to join the BMFA for insurance purposes, and you should also join a club.

It'll pay off in the end.

Another couple of deals

Model & Engine

Model & Engine 2

Another all in deal

Very cheap all in deal!

And one last all in deal

krazykop wrote (see)

Thanks to all for posting....just one last thing...in fact 2 things...

If i wanted to fly a plane on my own land do i need BMFA membership?

You dont NEED it.... but Insurance is still recommended - you just never know what could happen - flyaways are not uncommon for absolute beginners.

Hi!

The jumper 25 is one of the better known (to me anyway) trainers, so it should be suitible, along with the rest of the package. My only place of concern is the radio. I might surgest that you start with a good quality one like this or this that should last you a while; the four chanel GWS will limit many things on second models, and you may end up getting a new one any way. And I don't trust very cheap things either. I may just say that this is someting that is completely open for debate.

I would say that the insurence is a must. How big is you land by the way? Also things you will need to buy are starting equipment, adhesives, prop, and I would reccomend a frequency checker if flying alone, and well as a cheap sim like E-sky FMS of reality craft.

Best of luck,

birdy

Hi birdy,

thanks for that....my land is big enough to fly a model in im pretty sure... how does a frequency checker help??

can anyone tell me what a crystal is....all i know is that it goes i the controller. also do i need a starter, cant i just spin it with my fingers???? <---im keeping costs to a minimum

many thanks

KK

Hi Krazykop,

I fly on a space, about the size of a football pitch. More important is that there is clear space around, or, you will certainly end up in the only tree for miles around. ( they move around)  A frequency checker, in my opinion not really necessary. Essentially, It  tells you if there are other flyers nearby. If you fly on 35 mhz, then you need a matched crystal in both the transmitter, and the reciever. You can start the engine by hand, but it is a knack, and a starter makes it all so much easier

ernie

krazykop wrote (see)

my field is larger than a football pitch however it is surrounded by a hedge and trees. does this make it unsuitable??

thanks

KK

Not until you hit them! It should be fine, but i really do suggest joining a club, as teaching yourself will cost you much more cash in the long run, when you replace your model after the first crash (you wil, you know)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KK

Not wishing to spread doom and gloom but please, please take the advice and get someone to teach you to fly. It may look easy but it is not. Your plane is too expensive for you to wreck in a just a few seconds and that is very likely to happen trying to teach yourself. You would not expect to take up a full size plane without training, an RC model is no different. In fact in some respects it is more difficult as you are always closer to the ground!

So join a club and learn to fly. That way you might keep your valuable model in one piece long enough for you to be able to afford another!

I am learning to fly with a jumper 25, and it's spot on as a trainer.

Not very inspiring to look at , admittedly, but it has put up with all my bumps so far!

There are some slightly larger ones, that are not much more money, but that's up to you- the jumper is fine.  I have also seen my instructor fly one in a way that means there is a lot more that it is capable of once I have reached a level of competence.

And get insurance- unless you are too young to get sued!

Hi guys 

It is a proven fact that trees do in fact move. Only aeromodellers know this. They move mainly from side to side, sometimes by quite large amounts. Also, they have been known to move upwards, but strangely, not down. I understand that  Gordon Brown intends to make quite a large research grant available to study this phenomena. in view of its implications for forestation. It was fleetingly referred to in the film series Lord of the Rings

ernie