1/8 scale Westland Wessex

Martin Fraser

Hi Folks,

I’m new here as I’ve been mainly concentrating on helis since I began RC flying in 2008.

Those of you that have been to some of last years scale heli meets or visited Scale RC Helis - http://scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14762 may have seen ‘Igror’ before now.

521 on bench.jpg

This is my first scratch built model, started in 2012 and now nearing some sort of completion – are they ever finished? 6 foot OAL and 12Kg AUW

In between sticky sessions with epoxy and glass fibre I’ve done a bit of slope soaring and now power fixed wing. I’ve recently acquired a delightful Fly Baby with a Saito FA60T up front. It’s not been flown for 17 years but after some TLC, I think it’s now ready for some air.

Fly Baby01.jpg

Cheers, Marty

Marty, what an amazing project, I thought it was a picture of the full sized version until I clocked the MDF it is sitting on! I am not really into helis, although I did have a dabble with a TREX 500 some time ago but never got good enough to consider a scale one.

Welcome to the forum by the way and where in the world are you?

Many thanks for the welcome and kind words gents.

The Wessex is based on one of the old birds I used to help maintain (airframes and engines) in the mid seventies on 771 Squadron at RNAS Culdrose.

in flight 521.jpg

Although I have a wealth of detail knowledge of these aircraft, this can be a bit of a curse, especially when you look at the amount of exterior gubbins that old military machines seem to sprout. Also,the passage of forty years can play tricks on ones memory, therefore much of the last 4 years has been spent on research.

Aero modelling is quite a small niche hobby these days but scratch building large scale helicopters I guess is even more so!

Cheers, Marty (North Wales)

P.S. To be mentioned in the same breath as Pete Wales is praise indeed.

Edited By Martin Fraser on 28/04/2017 17:00:51

I'm no heli enthusiast and can barely tell one from another but that is truly a stunning model. In fact I thought it was the full size prototype until I noticed its setting.

I see you've been doing a spot of sloping, too. Now a slope soaring helicopter would be a sight to behold!

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 28/04/2017 20:21:06:

I see you've been doing a spot of sloping, too. Now a slope soaring helicopter would be a sight to behold!

Geoff

It's been done.

Nice Wessex, puts to shame the 450 sized one I have on the go (and no, I'm not about to show pics......ever........!!)

• 1 year later...

Hi David,

I hope your crew didn't leave you dangling on the winch line, then land-on and nearly crush you?laugh

I've been winched up from dry land for a demo for the WI once but never from the water. I can only just imagine that the underbelly of a SAR Wessex must have been a beautiful sight to all those people that we picked up in serious peril in the 70s.

Cheers, Marty