Blackhorse Heinkel He 111

I have moved on to having a look at the wings,

The Stbd one is not too bad, the firewall has been ripped out but in one piece so should go back in ok.

wp_20171214_12_47_21_pro.jpg

The uc mounting is actually ok, just the wire leg that was bent.

wp_20171214_12_48_17_pro.jpg

The small holes either side of the nacelle are where the fixing screws for the cowlings were ripped out, so just a piece of ply glued in underneath will suffice.

Things are not so good on the port one however,

Once again firewall is out in one piece.

wp_20171214_13_20_42_pro.jpg

The leading edge is damaged and split, looks like it has all been pushed back a bit.

wp_20171214_13_20_47_pro.jpg

And there is this nasty crack in the top surface.

wp_20171214_13_21_04_pro.jpg

I worry a bit about what internal damage has been done.

repair of this is not going to be so easy with the printed cover.

The uc mounting is also damaged.

wp_20171214_13_21_21_pro.jpg

Then there is this tear in the lower covering.

wp_20171214_13_21_25_pro.jpg

This is actually over where the fuel tank would go on the IC version. Not easy to repair again because of the covering.

These mouldings are actually supplied in the kit for the IC version so I suppose I could fit them as a last resort.

wp_20171214_13_21_43_pro.jpg

well having had a look inside I cant see any damage and there does not seem to be anything loose inside the wing, so it just seems to be cracks in the skinning and leading edge. Nothing some glue wont sort out. The covering wont look so pretty but still.

As far as the u/c mounting goes I will just fill in the missing areas with some liteply and there is room on the other side to glue in a couple of bits of hardwood for the screws to bite into.

I think in general I have been very lucky! Thanks mainly to the very soft ground at the time of the crash!

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 15/12/2017 08:39:35

Here are all the nacelle parts primed. Overall quite pleased with how they have turned out, A few small blemishes that could possibly be removed with more filler and work but I think they will do.

I always amazes me , you think they are lovely and smooth but as soon as you apply paint they look like the surface of the moon!

Luckily all the damage seems to be on the blue portions so only one color to try and match.

wp_20171218_10_54_34_pro.jpg

Cliff, with regard to keeping the original finish, the worst that could happen is a re-paint. I know this would add significant effort to your rebuild, but you could end up with a better looking model. I bought my BH Mosquito from a clubmate, and although it was in perfect condition (and I'd seen it fly) I couldn't abide the glossy covering and fairly horrid canopy. The colours were a bit suspect too, so I cleaned it down, brushed on Primol then brush painted it with the correct colours using Humbrol acrylics. I masked the markings to maintain them. I then sprayed it over with Plastikote matt laquer as the markings were gloss. Finally, I replaced the canopy with one for a Traplet design of the same size, modified the u/c to have twin legs, and fitted bigger wheels. I thought the effort well worth it.

I realise if you paint your Heinkel you will lose the printed on panel lines and rivets, but it could be worth considering. Actually, you could test fly it with some paint imperfections, then decide whether you like it enough to enhance the paint, scale details etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Fuselage repairs have been completed, She is just waiting for new nose glazing now. this is listed on the Ripmax website but does not seem to be available yet.

wp_20180117_11_56_41_pro.jpg

wp_20180117_11_56_50_pro.jpg

wp_20180117_11_56_55_pro.jpg

wp_20180117_11_57_01_pro.jpg

The box I have built under the pilots feet is to enable the batteries to go further forwards to help with the cg.

I also have to order 2 new spinners as the originals were smashed in the crash.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 17/01/2018 15:23:30

• 4 months later...

Well after waiting since January for this to become available its finally arrived!

wp_20180524_11_19_54_pro.jpg

What a disapointment it was, £38 for a bit of perspex! The color match is poor and it does not fit very well. Plus the worst thing, it would not go over the nose at first and I discovered two lengths of glue on the inside with bits of balsa in them so its obviously been fitted to another model and been cut off. Not very good for a supposed new part!

And here she is today after a sucesful test flight this morning.

wp_20180528_13_44_34_pro.jpg

wp_20180528_13_44_40_pro.jpg

The test went really well, She looked great in the air and flew really well. She has plenty of power on the set up.

I learnt my lesson from the first test and tried the flaps at height! Strangly this time there was very little pitch change, so I am not really sure now what happened last time!

Posted by Cliff Bastow on 28/05/2018 15:33:52:

Well after waiting since January for this to become available its finally arrived!

wp_20180524_11_19_54_pro.jpg

What a disapointment it was, £38 for a bit of perspex! The color match is poor and it does not fit very well. Plus the worst thing, it would not go over the nose at first and I discovered two lengths of glue on the inside with bits of balsa in them so its obviously been fitted to another model and been cut off. Not very good for a supposed new part!

I hope you complained . Strongly. I would have done.

Posted by Janos Deak on 11/05/2017 12:32:38:

Hello Guys,

I am about to order one of these birds. I need some info please:

- what is the diameter of the OEM spinner?

- what would be the wheel size if I want to go close to scale?

- 2x600W motors with 10x6x3 props will be enough? What do you think?

Thanks

Janos

Was this chaps questions answered?

• 2 weeks later...