Whats flying over your shopping centre

Earlier today I was up at the Snipe Retail Park in Ashton, walking towards Halfords front door - when what caught my attention..... a JDI Phantom flying quite erratically at about 60ft above the very busy car park

I looked around and eventually spotted the "pilot" standing up in the corner half hidden - So I marched up to him and tore into him asking him if he knew he was flying illegally? and telling him to land the quad

Surprisingly he said "let me land it then" - he performed a rather flustered landing, then I had a right go at him... do you know the law? Do you have insurance etc etc

What surprised me, was after a few seconds he said, "Why dont you stop berating me and educate me, where do I find out about the rules" - I told him to look at the BMFA website and the Handbook

Apart from walking away feeling slightly smug it struck me that all the publicity surrounding drones and the law had abjectly failed to reach this particular "pilot" - so how in gods name do "we" (royal) get through to then en mass?

Similar situationat Ullswater last weekend at the waterplane splash-in. Outfit turnedup Friday night with a teenager and young boy. Cameback from walking the dog and theres teenager with Phantem over the campsite and my tent! Righteous indignation from me and his mum aint happy . I think afterwards that he was on the autistic spectrum but i was not to know. But the law still applies.

I spoke to the campsite and told them about the drone code and how to get hold of it. They were unaware but had a previous incident of "privacy incursion" the week before. We are fighting a hard battle.

Don't try to teach a pig to fly. You waste your time and annoy the pig.

The full saying, as supplied by a fellow forumite.

But what in fairness can you do before death takes you to ( worm food, plant fertiliser, a better place, a worse place) delete as appropriate.

I appreciate what has been posted but would suggest that rather than berate individual we should inform. In this case the guy was prepared to learn.

On the subject of keeping up with regulations, when was the last time you read the Highway Code?

Posted by Hamish on 29/04/2017 21:46:36:

I appreciate what has been posted but would suggest that rather than berate individual we should inform. In this case the guy was prepared to learn.

On the subject of keeping up with regulations, when was the last time you read the Highway Code?

At least I am aware of the highway code - in this case he wasnt even aware there were regulations!

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 29/04/2017 21:55:10

In Australia we have laws that require all cigarettes to have plain packaging (manufacturers responsibility), warnings etc on alcohol packaging and star ratings on electric appliances. These are required by law. Why can't drones etc. Be sold with warnings about laws applying to the flying of drones? You don't have to spell out the law, just notify the consumer that laws may apply (depending on country etc). It is then the consumers responsibility. You can lead a horse to water.......

TP

Hi Tipsy, That's fine for cigarettes but they tend not to get onto the 'pre-used' market. Drones often are sold as used so often without the original package and sadly without the guidance on legal use.

As for the Highway code, at least drivers should have passed the required tests in order to have a licence and driving without a licence can lead to arrest.

As per my post - its not just the multi rotor flyers who dont understand the regs but a lot of innocent 3rd parties open to 3rd parties eg campsites andcaravan sites, festivals etc. We need to educate them as well. They could well endup on the end of privacy intrusion claims and more bad publicity for us law abiding fliers.

I reckon that most multi rotor owners know there are laws. Unless illiterate, non news reading, non television reading hermits.

As they do not regard the Queens highway to be anything other than a racetrack if late for work, takeaway etc.

As it is cheaper to pay, (or in actual practice not pay) the fine for no insurance of a car, than pay for insurance.

Or even carry a knife to be 'ard.

Sorry for a slight tinge of cynicism.

Posted by Donald Fry on 30/04/2017 20:45:11:

I reckon that most multi rotor owners know there are laws. Unless illiterate, non news reading, non television reading hermits.

Think I'm a hermit - don't read newspapers or watch televised news smiley.