futaba buddy setetup help please

Phil 9

I an wanting to buddy a Futaba 8FG (master) to a futaba 6EX (slave)

they both have the square type trainer connector, There seems to be two types of lead available to do this a standard one and a voltage step type. Can anyone please tell me which one I need?

Also they do seem to be very expensive at £20 to £35. Is there a third party cheaper alternative

There is a thread HERE. It seems that it will work

I have a lead if you want to borrow it to test.

HobbyKing do a Futaba trainer lead but I've read on interweb that the wiring is not correct. The earth lead is on the wrong pin.

Edited By cymaz on 30/04/2017 08:11:32

Hi Phil,

I moved away from using buddy leads as my student (Paul) would move around this movement caused connection glitches .

So instead i made a wireless connection for this i used a PPM output receiver which was bound to the master and the receiver was connected to the trainer port of the student .

Steve

Posted by Stephen Jones on 30/04/2017 09:50:06:

Hi Phil,

I moved away from using buddy leads as my student (Paul) would move around this movement caused connection glitches .

So instead i made a wireless connection for this i used a PPM output receiver which was bound to the master and the receiver was connected to the trainer port of the student .

Steve

is this it?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyahEMzAxW4 

the one in the video look to work well but will cost a little more than the lead.

unless I can make it work with my TFR6 Frsky or my RG17FS Rx's  then it would cost me much less

Edited By Phil 9 on 30/04/2017 10:29:48

Posted by Justin K. on 30/04/2017 09:46:36:

Yes you will need the voltage regulator lead.

And I'm not aware of a cheaper alternative to the Futaba branded product. 

Edited By Justin K. on 30/04/2017 09:47:39

Will you need a voltage regulator lead if the battery is removed from the slave tx ? The slave tx never used to need any power .

Hi Phill yes thats the one.

I had a Buddy lead already but as it would cause glitches as Paul moved, i decided to buy a receiver that would output a PPM signal.

wireles buddy.jpg

So i cut my Buddy lead up and connected a servo plug. Set-up the the receiver to output PPM signal.

wireles buddy1.jpg

Stuck Velcro to the receiver and Transmitter.

wireless buddy2.jpg

The best thing i did and of coarse i can plug it onto any Futaba transmitter as it is bound to my Tx .

And should work with the Quad copter receivers too as i believe they output a PPM signal.

Steve.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 30/04/2017 20:21:38

HI CARPERFECT,

The Master Tx is the Transmitter that will be used to control the plane and will be in radio contact with the plane at all times.

Both Master and slave ( Trainer and Student ) transmitters will need setting up identically the same, so that up is up and left is left on both transmitters and by the same amount.

All receivers have 3 wires per channel so if you plug a servo into channel 1 . the servo will get power from the + and - and the remaining wire is the signal .

on the receiver all the + and the - are connected to each other so that if power is feed into the Rx battery socket you can get power out of channel 1 and so on.

Or if you feed power into channel 3 you can get power out of the rest.

So if you wire the Buddy lead to get power from the Transmitter and to receiver a PPM signal from the Receiver signal wire you are good to go.

Both Transmitters will need their batteries in to work.

So if a student turns up to the field with his plane and transmitter he will have to borrow a transmitter that is already bound to the wireless buddy receiver and that receiver will have to be plugged into his transmitter but he will have to give his transmitter to the Guy who will be training him while he will have to use the borrowed TX that has been bound to the buddy Rx.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve smiley

Hi Phil,
In the transmitter settings you can select which channels
The student can have control of so if you only want to allow to use of 4 channels those 4 channels need to be replicated even the trim and expo . When the trainer switch is pressed all the data is passed on from the student Tx to the plane

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 05/05/2017 12:40:15

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well I tried my assan duel receiver controller and it works very well. the advantages are that you can mix any two transmitters and the master can be set up independently to the slave. so the master could have a bit more throw to get a model out of trouble. It was also less than half the price of a futaba buddy cable.

the only real disadvantage I can see is with the module, 2 receivers and the extra cabling required there is quite a bit of extra kit to fit into the model. this might not work for some models but in a 40 size cabin type trainer that is not an issue.