The Future May Be Bright But It's Not Orange!

David Davis

At the end of May, Orange will stop providing internet services. My email address is an orangehome address. I have been advised by Orange to open a Gmail account which I have done.

Do I have to re-register with this site so that it will recognise me and my new email address?

Advert

When o2 sold out to Sky we had to go through the same thing. So my advice is get an address sorted pronto and start informing/switching now. Make a list as you will be surprised at the number Utilities, DVLA, Ebay, B&Q, PayPal, Ebay etc. Only if you can not remember logins or passwords they will send the reminders to your Orange account. Not much use if you have waited until its closed then you will be dead stick over water at night without a paddle. Ace

David, I'm just concluding this very process, and Ace has summed up the important stuff nicely. I used the process provided in EE's instructions to transfer contacts and inbox, but unless I'm missing something, the transfer of my contacts to Gmail didn't work, so I'm having to enter them manually. Incoming mail to my Orange address is now being diverted to my Gmail account.

Changing my email address to most of my accounts was straightforward, but Hobbyking was a bit of a faff - I had to contact their support facility. Similarly my car insurance company would not allow me to change it on line, but I did it via an operative.

Like anything different, Gmail takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm finding advantages over Orange email, for example bigger attachments, and notifications on my phone and tablet. It also makes changing broadband suppliers less hassle.

I'm sorry to sound so dense but when trying to alter my details to accommodate my new email address, I find that I have to insert my password. My password is a randomly-generated one from this site. I have been told that you can change the password to something more memorable by visiting the Settings section of the task bar above. However, I did not understand that you had to move from the "My Details" section to "My Account" in order to change the password.

Given that I cannot remember my randomly selected password, is there any way of retrieving it?

David, I assume you haven't entered your password for ages as your device is automatically logging you in? Your simplest course may be to log out (in the red border at the top) then select log in. There is a "Forgotten Login?" option, select that and follow the instructions. You may need to enter your Orange email address, but it should let you sort out your password. Once you've done that, you should be able to change your email address.

I've done mine, but had to do it for so many sites I can't remember the exact process for this one, sorry.