Cura 2.5.0

Colin Leighfield

img_1459.jpgimg_1458.jpgimg_1456.jpgimg_1454.jpgimg_1453.jpgCan anyone offer me any advice on this please? First picture shoes an octopus figure that I downloaded from Thingiverse a while ago and have just printed perfectly. However, everything else that I try to download is coming out merged into a rectangular base that shouldn't be there. I hope the other pictures show it adequately. img_1452.jpgEvery time I try to print, the Wanhao is patiently slogging away printing that. I can't see what I'm doing wrong in the download process but clearly there is something. Can anybody out there help me?

Just looked at that, it is set on "brim". If I reset to "raft" or "none" it comes up on the screen exactly the same. I have tried downloading a number of files from Thingiverse at random and they all come out the same, superimposed onto this rectangular base. It must be something obvious in settings, but I can't find what it is.

Are you sure you are downloading .stl files from Thingyverse? Judging by the "Convert Image"-interface Cura is in some form of Photo-etching mode, probably because you have loaded a .jpg or .tiff file.

Edit: I checked by loading a .jpg file with Cura and I am getting similar results, so that must be it.

Edited By Max Z on 31/05/2017 11:13:46

Only got an older version of Cura here (2.3.1) but when importing a file to process it comes up with a raft that can be removed by unticking" Helper Parts: Print Build Plate Adhesion" (as Og says). It is half way down the display on the right hand side. It is usually helpful to set the adhesion parameter to a skirt to prime the extruder before printing the piece unless you think you will need more material on the build plate to keep the item in place during printing, in which case you might try brim or raft.

Having said all that it doesn't look like a raft to me.....the support structures normally follow the contour of the item being printedfrown

• 8 months later...

Hi Colin,

Found where I'd seen something silimar before, using Microsoft 3D Builder (if you have Windows 10 then you have this).

I'd scanned a pencil drawing of a rib, then cleaned it up a bit and saved it as a jpg.

jpg to object 3d builder 1.jpg

I then imported it into 3D Builder and was presented with a solid block instead of of a rib. Note two settings in particular here, Method: Stamp and Inverse:Off

jpg to object 3d builder 2.jpg

Inverse seemed a logical enough change and worked, well sort of. Familiar?

jpg to object 3d builder 3.jpg

Next then I changed the Method, trying all those available until I came to this one, called Contour. An interesting thing to notice here is that the hieght of the block is subsantially less. Begs the question of what if I set the Inverse:On?

jpg to object 3d builder 4.jpg

Well here's the answer:

jpg to object 3d builder 5.jpg

I apprecaite you are you using different software but perhaps there's a pointer there somewhere?

Edited By Ian Jones on 18/02/2018 14:46:16

Edited By Ian Jones on 18/02/2018 14:47:17

Colin

You could down load the latest version of Cura 3.7.1. wink 2

Ultimaker and their community have modified things quite a bit to improve the user interface although at the same time the full list of possible variables is now huge. I have no idea what most of them actually do.

The Ultimaker Community is pretty good at answering queries and there is a fair chance one of the developers will answer! .