Frsky/Taranis

Martian

Hello frsky users and experts I use a Spektrum dx6i at the moment but in light of all the recent fuss 're hobbyzone closing their UK depot can you give me any advice on switching to frsky tranny and what receiver to use , I'm referring to the 8channel mode 2 . Any advice would be appreciated.

Advert

Hi Martian,

I was in a similar position as you although my motivation was different, better value peripherals and versatility, I have switched from Spektrum to Frsky and wish I'd done it a whole lot earlier.

I use Taranis X9D + with X6R and X8R receivers which I'm really happy with and fully exploiting telemetry.

In my experience the product is well supported with T9 Hobbysport in the UK but don't expect the infrastructure that was in place when Horizon had proper presence in the UK.

Take the plunge, a bit of a learning curve but I think you will be rewarded.

John

Either a Taranis or a Q7 at this stage for the transmitter. Receivers, X8R, X6R or an X4R. Be careful with the latter as one is 3 channel and the other is 4. The X4R is for small light planes. Best is X8R. Avoid the S6R and S8R stabilised receivers at the moment, especially if you are just starting out with OpenTX.

Servo travel on the Taranis is greater than the Spektrum, its equivalent to the extended limits on the Spekky, so each plane will need checking over carefully. You can easily reduce the travel in OpenTX.

Documentation for OpenTX here:

**LINK**

Should give you ample reading for the next few months! wink

One final comment. When starting out with OpenTX, forget everything you have learned on the Spekky. OpenTX is quite different, but incredibly versatile.

Been musing this one a bit and it kind of reminds me of the Skoda story...

Early days, Skoda had a core devoted following but it's broader perception was far from positive thanks to Jasper Carrot.

After the reincarnation of the Favorit in the guise of the Felicia people slowly began to see Skoda in a different light.

What started with a one model range post VW ownership (Felicia/Taranis X9D+) together with the change in brand perception the range developed into the Octavia, then Superb/Horus and Citigo/Q7.

Skoda took market share from a number of big players and retained very loyal, supportive brand cheerleaders that I suspect Frsky also have .

Confident, independent thinkers come to mind as shared values between the two groups.

I wonder if their is a link.

Well,

In my neck of the woods people are moving away from Taranis due to incompatibility issues (continual updates and beta version launches that need fixes) and the tedious need to program everything before it works as you hope. Great if you like computing, but not if you want "plug and play".

Obviously others have very different and wholly valid views on Frsky and Taranis. Not trying to put the brand down, just pointing out that there are different experiences. Seems to be a "marmite" situation. You love it or you don't!

I have recently started switching over to FrSky/Taranis from Futaba. What triggered my change-over was my inability to program a throttle-cut for two motors running from separate channels with the Futaba.

I now have 11 models FrSky'd, including several fixed-wing single-motor, a fixed-wing twin, two quads, a CCPM heli and, as of today, a flybarless heli. My transmitter is a Taranis 9D Plus, and I have X4R, X6R, X8R, and S8R receivers. The X4R receivers are not just 4-channel, as might be inferred, but can control 11 channels if used with a device that's able to accept PPM single-wire input. I have mine in a quad and my flybarless heli, both of which use electronic stabilisers that are able to accept the PPM single-wire input.

One thing I'm loving about the Taranis (though it must be said, it can be had with some other transmitters) is the voice announcement of switch positions and telemetry data.

As others have said, there's a bit of a learning curve to the Taranis, for you have to program all your mixes from scratch. But once you get the hang of it it's much more versatile than the fixed programming of regular Spektrum, or any other brand, transmitter.

Posted by David Ovenden on 01/06/2017 20:26:09:

Well,

In my neck of the woods people are moving away from Taranis due to incompatibility issues (continual updates and beta version launches that need fixes) and the tedious need to program everything before it works as you hope. Great if you like computing, but not if you want "plug and play".

Obviously others have very different and wholly valid views on Frsky and Taranis. Not trying to put the brand down, just pointing out that there are different experiences. Seems to be a "marmite" situation. You love it or you don't!

The only incompatibility issue was the EU regulation which affected most radio manufacturers. Unlike Spektrum where DSM2 was no longer supported, both the transmitter and existing receivers could easily be updated. Once done, problem solved. New receivers work without any updating.

Neither do you need to program everything before it works, for a basic plane use the wizard, job done in less than 5 minutes. I don't know any transmitter where you could simply bind and fly any new plane without changing some settings on the transmitter.

...plus once you have your own personal (more complex) template, models of a similar type can be setup up in minutes just by copying it across and tweaking the percentages. I have about three regularly used templates I utilise now, and setup of a new model takes 15-20 mins in general (a bit more for a 4 servo wing glider, but then that would be the case on any other system too as the number of mixes involved is substantially higher).

Edited By MattyB on 02/06/2017 11:39:10

I don't think you will regret that decision Martian - I certainly never have. I've been very happy with Taranis for over two years. Top technical spec - way ahead of many others; totally reliable and with an extremely competitive price point. What's not to like?

Ok there is a bit of a learning curve - but in my view thanks to better support (trade and third paty such as Andy above) this has got a lot easier. The key I believe to really getting to grips with Taranis fast is to simply accept, right from the outset, that it is built around a different programming concept. Be prepared to learn from the ground up and you'll learn very fast and easily. But if you come it with a more locked in "traditional" mind set - asking questions like "OK where is the expo menu" etc - you will be confused - cos it it ain't there! OpenTx just doesn't do things that way!

Have fun.Its great kit and once you are on board with the concept - if you're anything like me anyway - you won't be able to imagine going back to the "old way" of doing things! (or not doing them as the case may be!)

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/06/2017 20:01:10

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 05/06/2017 21:18:22:

I've no idea whether it's any use or not, but I see that T9 now have a Taranis X9D User manual on sale.

This is based on OpenTx 2.1.9.

There's also a Taranis Q X7 Manual

Yes Chris I saw that and thought may as well get it as well and have downloaded the taranis manual ,thanks

Edited By Martian on 06/06/2017 10:10:38

I think I am missing something. T9's description states that the manual is for "...reference to the Taranis X9D plus and OpenTX firmware 2.1.9..." and goes on to state "...There is a chapter on learning to create custom functions for the Taranis using LUA script, including examples you can work with..."

I thought that LUA scripts would only work with 2.2 firmware. Can anybody explain, please?

Whilst I am on, can anybody clarify for me - I am currently on OpenTX 2.1.9 but would like to familiarise myself with 2.2. Can I download and run OpenTX 2.2 for familiarisation but continue to use 2.1.9 or will downloading 2.2 automatically overwrite 2.1.9?

Thanks, Ian

Posted by IanR on 06/06/2017 12:34:10:

I think I am missing something. T9's description states that the manual is for "...reference to the Taranis X9D plus and OpenTX firmware 2.1.9..." and goes on to state "...There is a chapter on learning to create custom functions for the Taranis using LUA script, including examples you can work with..."

I thought that LUA scripts would only work with 2.2 firmware. Can anybody explain, please?

Whilst I am on, can anybody clarify for me - I am currently on OpenTX 2.1.9 but would like to familiarise myself with 2.2. Can I download and run OpenTX 2.2 for familiarisation but continue to use 2.1.9 or will downloading 2.2 automatically overwrite 2.1.9?

Thanks, Ian

Ian if you take care when installing 2.2.0 on your PC then they will co-exist fine. Just make sure it is installed in it's own folder. i.e. make sure it installs in one called something like C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenTX\Companion 2.2. (as long as it's not the folder that has your 2.1.9 in it).

Thanks Mike and Chris.

Does this mean I can use LUA scripts with my Taranis X9D+ (on 2.1.9) to re-calibrate my S6R receiver, in situ, without having to connect the receiver to my computer in order to use the Config programme? I just want to reduce the rudder gain.

If so, this would keep me happy for the time being since, at this time, I am not concerned about sending/receiving SPort telemetry data but I will have to purchase the manual because I cannot see any reference to LUA scripts either on my Taranis or OpenTX.

Ian

Ian the S6R Lua script is run by placing it on the SD card, then navigating to it in OpenTx SD card explorer. (Radio settings then page through until you find a list of folders). Then highlight it and (I think) press enter to run it.

However, I do think that it is the first really useful use of the telemetry LUA that's only available in 2.2. It reads and talks back to the Rx over the radio link, so it must be using the telemetry link.