CHEAP small glider at Lidls!

Andy G.

Advert

Managed to buy the last one at Ripley Derbys Lidl yesterday. It had been reduced by 30%. Nice snip at £5.60!

I'll be following the threads as I plan to fit a motor and 2 channel -not sure yet whether to do rudder/elevator or aileron elevator -anyone with experience of these with any advice would be appreciated

Now that would be fun.

I've commenced conversion on mine, pictures to follow but in simple terms it is as follows.

All items for conversion are from stock which includes a Spekky 6115E that I've had to solder on a new whisker.

1 Elevator driven by internal pushrod through snake outer, hole cored out with sharpened piano wire turned by electric drill, and servo mounted under canopy.

2 Carbon tube inset into underside of wing spanwise.

3 Ailerons cut out upto tip dihedral break and driven by separate servos let into fuselage sides to keep wiring simple.

4 A flat carbon strip running entire length of fuselage keel together with two carbon rods let into sides from canopy front opening to wing mid position.

5 2S LiPo feeding radio via a small 10a ESC with motor leads removed, I'll assume when I set the throttle channel to override at 0% it will be OK, to act as a simple voltage regulator.

6 Ailerons and elevators hinged with tape top and bottoms gapless style.

7 Decoration courtesy of LIDL.

8 Space left in nose for another servo and aerotow release.

Should be ready for the glorious weather coming our way next week.... happy days and all for less than a couple of expensive pints.

😁

Edited By Devcon1 on 11/06/2017 20:14:28

• 2 years later...

I just had to do one as well!

Although powered I decided to keep mine as light as possible (no surprise there!) and concentrate on aerodynamic improvements so it might thermal soar.

First issue is the trailing edge, or rather the lack of it!

Section 1

The cut off TE of the tail plane. The wing is even worse!

My solution is to create Depron 'extensions' that thin down to a fine edge.

The tail plane extension becomes the elevator. Simple top tape hinge

Elevator 1 The outer wing panel extensions become the ailerons, the inner portions are fixed.

Tiny 3.7 g aileron servos completely buried in the wing.

Ailservo

The similar elevator servo is buried in the fuselage just behind the cockpit with external pull/pull nylon line.

Eleservo1

No rudder it is flown 'bank and yank'.

A small 18 mm diam brushless is 'buried' in the nose and turns a 5x3 folding prop.

Foldprop1

It weighs 226 g (no registration?) with a 950 mAh 2s and needs no reinforcing of any sort.

The extensions add about 14% to the wing area so it flies pretty slowly yet its glide performance is remarkable.

It does indeed thermal well but being so small it is all to easy to loose sight of it at any altitude! wink 2

Flew my pure glider version at the slope for the first time this week, on holiday in Dorset. Goes pretty well. Plenty of elevator authority from an all moving tailplane, but needs more aileron. I top hinged the rear 25% of the wing as far as the tip dihedral, so my plan is to hinge the tip sections too and slot in little bits of flexible plastic to the t.e. to link them to the main ailerons.

It cost me £7.99 and is kitted out with stuff I already had, so it's brilliant value, and perfect to chuck in the boot on top of the luggage to take away. Being so small, the Spektrum DSM2 parkfly Rx is quite up to the job.

Trailing edge was very poor, I thought about improving it too. Mine flew well but I'm on 35 mhz and for some reason I got bad twitching with the rx and then loss of signal/control. No damage fortunately. I've fitted a different ESC and I'm hoping I've sorted the issue for another maiden (no2 frown)