Binding UC legs

Advert

Totally agree, with the comments on blow lamps. I will not use it again.

To alleviate the danger, i used heat sinks, baffles. Then an approach of wafting the flame, that initially melted the resin of the cored solder that i used, this caused the solder to remain as spherical blobs on the surface. Then another waft, to see the blobs flow. I am not convinced that it all was that controllable.

I will now buy a 100 w iron. I did lately realise that the irons used at AEI, were 210v, hence the imence size, most probably used in industry for tasks such as cable jointing, large armature windings, transformer and switchgear terminals etc. By and large all these businesses no longer exist in number in the UK.

I did see that BICC used a gas powered jointing tool/iron, for use in the field, where a gas flame heated a large copper tip. A bit like a electric soldering iron, although not the same.blush

Edited By Erfolg on 17/06/2017 16:09:23

Posted by onetenor on 16/06/2017 20:08:38:

I use enamelled copper wire about as thin as a hair. Wipe off the enamel ( lacquer /french polish ) with meths. Give it a soak first then wipe along the length with a cloth.

John

I had a spell coil winding about 60 years ago when I was 'learning my trade' at Murphy Radio in WGC, Herts. Coils (TV scan coils, radio oscillator coils etc) were all wound with enamelled copper wire and to clean the terminations for soldering we heated the wire to a dull red in a flame (gas, I think) and then dipped it in meths. It came out spotlessly clean and very easy to solder.

However I think bare tinned copper (BTC) or bare wire from mains wiring cable (1.5 or 2.5mm) would be preferable. I have a reel of BTC ready for those sort of jobs and use a 125 watt Henley Solon iron I've had for over 50 years to apply the heat.

When I worked at GEC in the 60s I was surprised to see critical soldering on telephone exchanges being done with irons that were heated in a gas ring. There're lots of ways to solder big jobs successfully.

Geoff