Swift 82

Cymaz is wise...

235.jpg

The baffle isn't finished yet. I think I will take the cowl off before I put the underside pieces on and finish the baffle. I will also provide a generous outlet area for I do not want cooling issues.

236.jpg

The side piece on:

237.jpg

Engine looking snug:

238.jpg

And the other side

239.jpg

It all looks very agricultural currently, but that will change...

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed there has been! I have been quite busy but nonetheless the covering is almost done now. Might put some Saito stickers on it to liven it up a bit. Apologies for the awful lighting...

246.jpg

247.jpg

248.jpg

249.jpg

I'm going to mass balance the tail controls to reduce the servo load. Most of the weight is in the aeroplane now and pleasingly the centre of gravity is pretty much bang on and AUW is reasonable.

Thank you very much both of you.

Airworthy.

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

260.jpg

262.jpg

265.jpg

268.jpg

The canopy glue hasn't quite set (and I might put a black outline on it so it looks nicer) yet but it is strong enough. All systems are in and working, no weight required for the centre of gravity. I was worried about the all up weight when building it but it has turned out to feel quite lightweight which I am happy with. It's too blustery to fly today, but hopefully some time this week I will get a window.

It's very enjoyable building a model that I have designed and hopefully the flight performance will be good. Building wise, next I have a Wot 4 Pro ARTF which will be a quickie (Saito 62 power), a small aeroplane that my younger brother designed which won't take long and my Brian Taylor Mustang which will be a long one.

Thank you. Paul, it is an own design so I have the only set of plans.

270.jpg

So it's flown, and it's not bin worthy! Wind conditions were less than ideal with a 90 degree cross wind. In the air, the ailerons felt very nice, no trim required and good responsiveness. Basic aerobatics were easy. It did feel like the centre of gravity is too far back- a couple of times it tip stalled in the tighter turns. Fortunately it always recovered very quickly and positively with removal of elevator. Landing was way too fast knowing that the c of g was on the less stable side and that caused the undercarriage bolts to shear when it hit the long grass, but it did as I intended and therefore it is a simple 20 minute fix.

Sorry no video I was alone, I will try to next time.

I wasn't expecting perfection being a bespoke design, but I think there is promise since the controls did feel nice. It does seem to like flying with power on, probably due to the large fuselage. Once the C of G has been moved, which will hopefully increase the stability and stop the tip stalling, then I can make a better assessment of the low speed handling. I don't think the wind conditions helped either, especially on landing.

All part of the development- the important thing is that I still have an airframe! Next flight should be better.