Unisens-E Graupner telemetry sensor

I have obtained a new in packet Unisens-E telemetry sensor (does rpm/altitude/vario/ voltage& current from one unit) that I want to use with my JR DMSS radio. This is made by SM Modelbau and is marketed by Graupner under the ref number 33644. see **LINK**

The unit works with JR DMSS but needs to be set up as it defaults to Grapner HOTT protocol.. Later models from V1.11 onwards can be programmed via the tx. Unfortunately mine is V1.10 so I need to set it up from the PC. This means downloading software and buying a custom USB to comms socket lead. I can buy the genuine SM Modelbau item but this will cost another £20 or so.

Anyone know if a cheaper alternative exists, or better still, can tell me how to make one up from an existing USB cable - what wires connect to which pins? Any info or links would be helpful. Thanks .

Edited By David Ovenden on 05/07/2017 12:51:13

Advert

According to the UniSens-E instructions it should be possible to connect it to a PC using a variety of third party cables including the "Graupner USB interface no. 7168.6"

Section 11.1 of the instructions details options and how to.

Have you found the English instructions:- https://www.sm-modellbau.de/Bedienungsanleitungen

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 05/07/2017 13:37:06

Dickw - thanks for the reply. Yes, I have already found the English instructions and the alternative Graupner interface. Trouble is the Graupner lead is also over £20! Unless there are some fancy electronics in the lead, that's pretty expensive for a USB lead. I already had discovered that the unit should be programmable from the Tx on versions from 2015 onwards. Regrettably, the new sealed in packet unit I bought new this month from a German model shop is pre 2015 manufacture

Both the SM lead and the Jeti lead mentioned in the instructions are USB to serial conversion leads - i.e. there are electronics in them. The others probably are as well, so you need more than a USB lead (modified or otherwise).

Where abouts are you based? There are several options for connecting leads in the instructions so you may be able to borrow one locally to do the update.

Dick

Just a thought, but you might be able to use something like an Arduino to simulate the connector leads according to this article:- http://www.zoobab.com/use-the-arduino-as-a-serial-adaptor

No idea if it would work, but if you (or a friend) are in to that sort of thing it might be an interesting project.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 05/07/2017 15:20:38

Bob, interesting link that. Much cheaper than the Graupner list or shop price.

However, I have just ordered the KINGKONG PC Communications Adapter (USB/Com) from HK European warehouse at a total shipped cost of £4.19. Will report back whether or not it works once it arrives!

Steve, both work (I've just tested it as i have both!), the SM USB interface plugs into the com port on the unit using a 4 wire micro connector and the MPX USB adaptor plugs into the link (servo connector port), the SM modelbau one works without an additional power supply whereas the MPX one needs a battery on a Y lead.

There is no cable/pinout diagram on the Unisens itself and i can't find one on the net.

Steve, Thanks for the link. You may be right about using all 4 pins to get the most out of this unit. The SM Modellbau lead does, I think, use all 4 pins to give additional access and maximum programming possibilities. However, in the instructions it makes specific mention of being able to use other USB/comms leads (ie Graupner/Jetti/Multiplex) using only 3 pins via a "standard" servo type connector. When it arrives, we will see if it works!

Posted by Steve J on 06/07/2017 16:12:48:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 06/07/2017 13:52:15:

both work (I've just tested it as i have both!), the SM USB interface plugs into the com port on the unit using a 4 wire micro connector and the MPX USB adaptor plugs into the link (servo connector port)

Interesting.

I have looked the Unisens-E in the past as it look very compact, but have been put off by the need for an adaptor to connect to the Spektrum telemetry units.

Steve

Yes, not sure why that is, but the aerobtec GPS logger also needs an adaptor to work with Spektrum too.

• 2 weeks later...
#Posted by David Ovenden on 06/07/2017 12:58:55:

Bob, interesting link that. Much cheaper than the Graupner list or shop price.

However, I have just ordered the KINGKONG PC Communications Adapter (USB/Com) from HK European warehouse at a total shipped cost of £4.19. Will report back whether or not it works once it arrives.-

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to this thread. The KINGKONG PC Communications Adapter duly arrived from the HK warehouse in the NL. Post took its time, but it arrived in the end.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/esc-pc-software-communication-adapter.html

So, here is the feed back. The USB adapter worked perfectly for my purposes and allowed me to set up the UniSens-E for my JR DMSS radio and to update the firmware to the latest version. Once I have flown it in my test model (HK Tundra) I may well want to tweak other parameters, but so far on the bench all is working as it should. So, all in all the UniSens-E seems an excellent multi-purpose telemetry unit for electric models and the KINGKONG adapter at £4.19 including postage was a "bargain".

David

Edited By David Ovenden on 17/07/2017 14:16:54

Edited By David Ovenden on 17/07/2017 14:18:47