A Depron Sea Vixen.FAW2

Advert

Constructing the booms is proving to be very slow going.

Having looked at the 3 view for some time it seemed logical to have a fully planked front section and a rear section incorporating the fin.

The front to be built up like the fuselage as half section over the plan and completed once lifted.

Boom 1

More work in it than in the fuselage and a great beal more delicate. Suitably light at 7.2 g although i am not particularly happy with it.

The booms will have to be complete with their tail sections before they can be glued to the wing so I must get on a build another. wink 2

• 2 weeks later...

Next is the boom 'end' which includes the rather complex transition from the oval of the boom to the swept airfoil section of the fin itself.

Like the wings the fin is just two skins with Depron shear webs with no ribs.

Fin build 1

Although quite a bit of planking is required for the 'transition' section at the base.

With the fin glued onto the end of the boom a first dry fit to see how it sits on the wing.

Boom fin 1

As all the loads are carried by the skin the glued joint between the boom and wing has to be an exact fit.

After many hours of cutting, shaping and fitting small pieces of planking at last some rel progress.smile p

The booms with their fins glued in place.

Boom fin 2

The piece of string is a pull through for the elevator servo wire.

Still more fiddly planking to complete the boom under each wing.

By comparison the tail plane should be simple as it is a just a constant chord plank. wink 2

The tail plane goes on with its odd fillets.

tailplane1

In full size the tail plane was all moving (for trim as it had an elevator as well) and the fillets moved with it!

Mine is fixed and the fillets give it some valuable extra rigidity.

At 900 mm span it is not that much smaller than the 1000 mm Durafly (HobbyKing) version but it will be a lot lighter. wink 2

The aileron and elevator surfaces are top tape hinged.

Ail+Ele 1

The servo wires are fed to the Lermon 'stab' Rx which is fitted into a compartment on the underside close to the likely CofG.

Stab Rx 1

I now need the battery (it is on a slow boat from China!) as its final position will determine how the wiring is run from the ESCs.

At the moment it weighs exactly 8 oz (227 g). The battery will weigh about 3 oz (85 g) so even with the remainder of the fuselage structure and some paint it should be close to my all up target of 13 oz (367 g). wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 06/08/2017 01:09:43

David M

Thanks for the compliment. smiley

Almost exclusively UHU POR with a touch of PVA where a poor joint (and there are a few!) heeds to be filled.

It is not that you can't fill a gap with POR and the joint is stronger than PVA but the end result is almost impossible to sand smooth. The Depron sands fine but the POR just doesn't so it always remains proud no matter how much you sand off!

The full size Sea Vixen had a serious sized radome so in my case it has to be built to the same light weight standard as the rest of the airframe. wink 2

Nose cone 1

Planked vertically. There will be 18 planks.

Once complete the base former is removed. This is best done straight away as the POR is soft but still sticky enough to hold the edges of the planks together.

Nose cone 2

A small Depron flange is added to the fuselage former both to physically locate the nose and to increase the glue area.

Lightweight to the extreme? smile p

The 'pointy' bits go on.

Pointy bits

The solid 'green' bits are built up from layers of 5 mm laminate underlay. It is rather soft but only about half the weight of Depron. wink 2

As I am still waiting for the battery to arrive it will be onto plan B. Complete the fuselage skin and then cut it open again at the correct spot to built in the battery box and use the cut out bit as the hatch.

Not an ideal way of doing things but I have done it before quite successfully.

The cockpit was offset to make room for the "coal hole" described by Simon, in which the radar operator/general dogsbody was incarcerated to operate the electronics. Rather him than me. The Sea Vixen had a pretty lousy accident record and I wouldn't have enjoyed being stuck down there with no real view of the outside world.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 13/08/2017 06:28:39

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 13/08/2017 06:28:03:

The cockpit was offset to make room for the "coal hole" described by Simon, in which the radar operator/general dogsbody was incarcerated to operate the electronics. Rather him than me. The Sea Vixen had a pretty lousy accident record and I wouldn't have enjoyed being stuck down there with no real view of the outside world.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 13/08/2017 06:28:39

The theory was that with early CRT throwing the operator into the coal hole (with no widow) he would be able to see the display better

The Sea Vixen off set canopy was not quite unique as some marks of the Canberra had the same particularly the B(I)8 and the PR9 but at least on these marks the second man had an ejector seat!

"Magnet" wire.
Its the name used for lacquer insulated solid copper conductors as used in the winding of an electro magnet.wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 13/08/2017 11:27:47