A Depron Sea Vixen.FAW2

My 32" span Depron EDF DH Venom FB1 is relatively large and light for its 40 mm EDF but nevertheless flies really well and with a substantial cruise endurance (10 minutes+!) for a 'micro' EDF.

The next project is to try to achieve the same with a Sea Vixen but powered by two 40 mm EDFs

PlanviewS

The problem is the cheap HK AEO 40 mm EDF use an out runner whose motor bell is significantly bigger than the diameter of the fan hub. Concerned at the turbulence losses that would be cause by such a large 'bluff end' directly in the duct I designed and 3D printed an 'exhaust tube' that incorporates an inner 'after body'.

ThrustTubeAfterBody This not only streamlines the air flow downstream of the motor bell but in conjunction with a reducing diameter exhaust tube keeps the duct area constant at 85% of the FSA.

One advantage of 3D printing means the second exhaust duct is just a matter of pressing a button!

TwinEDFs

Each exhaust duct weighs just over 3g..

Now all I have to do is to build the plane. wink 2 Of concern is the fact that the fuselage of the Sea Vixen has a remarkably complex shape!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 07/07/2017 23:14:26

Advert

Stephen

The intention with this exhaust tube is that any benefit from the reduction in turbulence in the exhaust duct would off set the increase in skin drag from its extra surface area.

Within measurement accuracy this has proved to be the case as the EDF gives the same static thrust (140g on a 2s, 90W, 13A) with or without the thrust tube attached.

There will of course be some further losses from the inlet ducting although it should be limited as each inlet will maintain about 1. times the FSA.

The hope is that ready to go the Sea Vixen will achieve an 80% thrust to weight ratio which is about the same as my slightly smaller DH Venom and that has significant power to spare.

At these modest power levels motor cooling is not too much of an issue. The high velocity air passes directly over the outer surface of the motor bell as well as any air stirred around by the rotating magnets.

To maintain the streamlined nature of the air frame I suspect cooling the ESCs tends some attention.

Of course this could all prove to be wrong! wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 08/07/2017 11:32:21

This front view with the EDFs shown in blue demonstrates the "large and light" concept and suggests that true scale inlets will have sufficient area about 1.2 FSA.

Intakefront

However this concept only works if the air frame is built ultra light!

The fuselage of the Sea Vixen is rather a complex shape and I only have 4 fuselage sections! It will take quite a bit of interpretation with the aid of many photos to create a full set of about 11. Then there is the problem of building the fuselage up around the inlets ducts.and still keep it all super light.

So I 'chickened' out and decided to build the wings first as in comparison they are a relatively simple shape.

According to the Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage the Sea Vixen used an EC1040 section, The only problem is the name is not recognised by any airfoil database!

What is available is RAE 104 which is a symmetrical 10% thickness section with its maximum depth at 40% - good enough!

RAE 104 section Although a bit bigger and twice the weight of my Venom it will still follow the same "all Depron stressed skin structure" and like the Venom it will have no wing ribs!

The lower LH wing skin and shear webs all in 2mm Depron.

Ailservo

The wing is thick enough to just cover the 4.1 g aileron servo.

A composite picture of the completed wing and an edge view showing its symmetrical section.

RHwingskin

So far so good but it really is a daft way to build the wing of an EDF! wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 09/07/2017 22:32:56

Hi, Very interesting build, have you considered where the C of G will end up (just I have a pusher Vulcan with motor at one end and lipos at the other just to get the C of G in the right place!).

+ those fans are going to suck hard on the inlet tubes, perhaps a plenum approach then if you need to add cheat holes the option is there.

Only suggestions and great building skills...if only my Depron looked that good!

Edited By Chris Walby on 11/07/2017 08:38:36

Chris

I have run up a fan to full power with inlet tube as above with no problem.

Of course a cylinder with reasonable external support is pretty good at resisting low pressure, however the rest of the inlet duct is more complex and basically changes to a triangle so collapsing may become a issue. The saving grace is the inlet area is quite large at 1.2 FSA so it should keep the duct 'under pressure' to a minimum.

With such a light structure i am not too worried about positioning the CofG as its 2000mAh 2s Lipo weighs quite a bit more than both EDFs combined and each ESC, which needs to be close to the battery, weighs nearly as much as its EDF.

Hopefully the battery will end up in the Cockpit area which then makes it easier to disguise the hatch..

Well that's the plan. wink 2

As the fuselage with its ducts was going to be the most difficult to build I though I had better find out if it was indeed possible

Quite a stack of vey thin fuselage formers. It took quite a time to work out the intermediate ones from just the 3 I had!

Former stack

Built as a half shell over the plan with lots of individually fitted planks.

The really hard bit was planking the S shaped inlet duct on the inside of the formers. After 12 hours non stop I ended up with the left half of the fuselage.smile o

L half fuse2

There are 8 formers and 42 planks, every one different and individually fitted.

L half fuse1

So far so good but the real killer is I will have to it all over again for the other side! wink 2

Looking good there...and once the other half of the fuselage is finished you'll have a couple of booms to do!

My initial post was I was concerned with the throttling effect of long parallel ducts to the fans as I have a couple of PNP edf's which have large inlets/plenum right up to the fan impeller (and short discharge tubes) with one having a bunch of cheat holes as well. I have no technical basis that its an issue.

Would you be prepared to provide your plans at some point?

The formers added to the other side,

RH hal ffuse1

Then the tricky bit -p Planking the inlet duct on the inside to the formers. After a good few hours, you have to let the glue set on each plank before you can do its neighbour, the duct is complete.

RH duct

It actually take a bit longer as the rather delicate structure has to be handled whereas for the first half it was held flat on the building board.

The outer skin can now progress...

With some of the fuselage skin in place a trial f"placement" fit to make sure things are more or less the right size and shape. wink 2

Wing fuse1

All in the picture, which includes the EDFs and aileron servos, weighs 5.1 oz (144g).

With the weight of the EDFs now 'built in' the fuselage needs very delicate handling so completing the majority of the skin planking is vital.

Another painstaking super efficient build! You can see how DH evolved from their early commitment to tail-less designs as shown by the Swallow to this, adding a conventional tail via twin booms. Despite its early problems, I think this was a more effective design than the Javelin, seem so odd that the RAF rejected, it for the problematic Gloster design. If both services had ordered variants of the original 110 I'm sure the design would have evolved and we'd have got a more effective plane for a lot less money.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 16/07/2017 23:51:31

The EDFs connected to the ESCs with 'magnet' wire to save weight.

EDF wires

The "bare" ESC heat sinks are mounted flush with the inlets to ensure good cooling with very little drag penalty.

Heatsink1

With the ESCs temporarily connected to a big 2s LiPo the first full power test of the ducting.

A 32A it really is a particularly inefficient and noisy way to create not a lot of thrust, but at least you will be able to hear it!. wink 2

Colin

On balance the DH110/Sea Vixen probably had a better air frame aerodynamically than the Javelin but I suspect De Havilland never fully regained their reputation with the air ministry after the 1952 Farnborough crash.

In some respects by the RAF adopting the Javelin which clearly did not have good shipboard flight characteristics actually left the Navy free to have the DH110 modified to their specific requirements rather than having to accept a 'common' air frame with the RAF which was the aim of the ministry.

I had forgotten the Scimitar!

You can see why the ministry got so frustrated with the industry and the services.

DH Sea Vixen, two Avons, 145 built

Supermarine Scimitar,two Avons, 76 built

Gloster Javelin, two Sapphires (similar power to the Avon), 436 built.

All had broadly the same performance so on paper it must have looked like a crazy waste of resources.

Then of course at the same time the Hunter (Avon) and Swift (Sapphire) were under development for the RAF

Even the fairly sensible Navy Buccaneer (Bomber) was so under powered in its early form that to carry a reasonable load from a carrier it had to take off fuel 'light' and been air refuelled by a fighter Scimitar!

Then there are the three V bombers, well actually four, remember the Short Sperrin!

​Perhaps the infamous 1957 White Paper was inevitable but even afterwards it did not really stop with TSR2, F111, Skybolt and arguably Concorde.