Traplet

Tony Bennett

Advert

Posted by Scully on 21/07/2017 15:53:49:

Myself and a club mate ordered plans and cnc woodpacks on Sunday at cosford paying about £400 in cash ! More than a little miffed to say the least #%&@*" . someone from traplet needs to make a statement as to the state of things

its my understanding is that it is an offence to take payments if you are knowingly about to be insolvent

Edited By og on 22/07/2017 07:31:17

I have never posted on this forum before but I think what has happened over the last few days regarding Traplet plans is really bad news for our hobby, yes the average age of aeromodelers is probably mid 50,s and the average age of dedicated model builders - not ARTF or foamy planes ,but plan built projects is probably older than this, I class myself as one of these, the thrill of going through the plans lists , picking subjects to put on a list of possible projects, picking the subject that will take all winter to build, getting the bits together to turn a pile of balsa into a fair copy of the full size, and finally flying the thing, the sense of accomplishment will never be replaced , I was planning to build a Dennis Bryant Chipmunk this winter, and was planning on ordering the plans, fibre glass bits on Friday, so, I suppose I am "lucky"that it happened this week not last, i have spoke to Tony Nijhous regarding his plans and he said he stopped both Traplet and My hobby store selling his designs last year- he must have had his doubts, i thought it was funny that that Traplet were offering all round discounts on there products, but lets hope that some one or something can save them/

Posted by Paul Marsh on 21/07/2017 22:26:41:

I built some of the plans from RCMW, one was this: a great model...

Super Sytky

Super Sytky by Christian Moes. 34in span (RCMW Aug 2015). Great workmanship Paul. I sent off for the back number as I thought it such a nice design. Christian had several of his excellent plans published in the mag.

I should have taken out a subscription, use it or lose it, so they say. I hope everyone takes out a subscription to RCM&E, if you don't already have one, (paper or electronic) as without the flagship magazine I feel the hobby really will be in trouble. Just my view.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/07/2017 10:20:18

I and a group of others had just ordered all the Fury drawings cowls etc in preparation for a group build starting next October. It looks like we are all not going to get the parts, but lets hope the lack of news means something is going on in the background, fingers crossed.

I was dealing with Craig over the phone and managed to get the group a good discount. I really do not think that after years of working with Craig he knew anything about what transpired last week. And that will go for them all. I really don't think they knew.

Lets just hope at least parts of the organisation rise from the ashes.

I am a contributor to RCM&E so I am perhaps biased, but I subscribe to many of the magazines and have done for years. If we don't show our support, they will vanish, as have so many these last few years. I appreciate that the information is easy to get on the web. But to me that augments the magazines.

Just my opinion however

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Martian on 21/07/2017 21:28:47:
Posted by Tipsy Pilot on 21/07/2017 19:00:11:

Thanks KC. Yep, that's exactly my plan. It's out of stock on the back issues so hopefully I can find someone who is prepared to part with their copy.

I was going to build Ton,s red eagle but have heavily committed myself with other builds so if you would like the mag and plan by all means pm me with your address

Martian

Thank you Martian, that's very generous, you are a gentleman. No wonder I love this forum so much.

Message coming with my details.

TP

Posted by Geoff Parkes on 22/07/2017 08:59:57:

I have never posted on this forum before but I think what has happened over the last few days regarding Traplet plans is really bad news for our hobby, yes the average age of aeromodelers is probably mid 50,s and the average age of dedicated model builders - not ARTF or foamy planes ,but plan built projects is probably older than this, I class myself as one of these, the thrill of going through the plans lists , picking subjects to put on a list of possible projects, picking the subject that will take all winter to build, getting the bits together to turn a pile of balsa into a fair copy of the full size, and finally flying the thing, the sense of accomplishment will never be replaced , I was planning to build a Dennis Bryant Chipmunk this winter, and was planning on ordering the plans, fibre glass bits on Friday, so, I suppose I am "lucky"that it happened this week not last, i have spoke to Tony Nijhous regarding his plans and he said he stopped both Traplet and My hobby store selling his designs last year- he must have had his doubts, i thought it was funny that that Traplet were offering all round discounts on there products, but lets hope that some one or something can save them/

With the benefit of hindsight, (and of course people always say that don't they?) it is a great shame that My Hobby Store relinquished ownership of all the RCM&E/Nexus/MAP etc plans to Traplet only a few weeks ago. So now we have lost availability of almost all the UK model plans at one fell swoop. If MHS had kept control of their plans/parts we would still have a great number of great plans available to us. As others have commented, hopefully from the ashes someone can resurrect the plans business.

The upside is that I may be more inclined to get on with building some of the models for which I already have the plans!

Thanks for the advice guys. Plan only is actually what I was after. My first build (sleeker) Was from plan and I really enjoyed watching the wee beastie grow out of planks of Wood. Learnt some skills, acquired some tools and when i maidened it, the smile was radiant. 😁. My intent since starting sleeker was to hone my skills before moving on to build RedEagle so, when traplet closed its shop after I had placed my order, I was rather disappointed. Now, thanks to the generous help of Martian and this forum, it appears I have secured what I'm after.

Thanks everyone.

TP

Edited By Tipsy Pilot on 23/07/2017 12:14:54

Enough, I've never seen a thread with so much misinformation and uninformed commentary.

Just to set the record straight, the MHS plans service went to Traplet last Autumn so I've deleted some of the sillier posts that followed David Ovenden's 'announcement' above. 

Thread locked for now until fresh news arrives.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/07/2017 16:12:50