Classic British Beauty

Steve Colman

Advert

I used to own one of those, but mine was light blue, purchased new in July 1970. I was a bit disappointed because, when I ordered the car, I ordered the previous model, with the faired headlights but, during the very long wait for delivery (9 months), they changed the model!!!

The unfaired lights and various exhaust emission requirements, all due to US regulations, reduced the performance of this model to well below normal "E" standards. It was very difficult to exceed 130mph, whereas previous model was a lot faster (I remember getting an indicated 147mph, in the middle of the night, on the A43 between Oxford and Bicester). The world was different then!!!

Anyway this drop in performance resulted in the development of the V12, which restored the original performance level, but at the cost of huge fuel consumption. I owned (and loved) three different E types, from 1967, until I gave the last one (V12) to my son in the year 2000. The Series 1 4.2 was the best...

I think this might be the Series 1, I'm not a car enthusiast so dunno exactly what the other car is. Spotted them at Seahouses, Northumberland last year whilst doing a bit of bird watching - the Farne Islands are just off the coast.

My boss, around 1963/4, had an E-type. I shared the driving with him it on a few of trips between Newcastle down to Birmingham - didn't like it at all either driving or as passenger but it always attracted an audience.

e-type.jpg

cobra_1.jpg

cobra_2.jpg