Realflight 7.5 laptop spec.

Scott Lawson

Im in need of a laptop upgrade, my Toshiba sattelite will run 7.5 but gets hot and turns itself off after about 10 minutes once it keels over due to heat exhaustion...

Im not very clued up on Laptops but I was thinking about buying a Lenovo T430 with 8GB of ram, the i5 processor and a 256 GB SSD drive.

Im hoping the extra processor speed will compensate for the lack of a dedicated graphics card.

Anyone have any idea if this will cope with realflight 7.5 without cooking itself?

Scott.

Advert

If at all possible get something with a dedicated graphics card instead of relying on integrated cpu graphics. A great deal will depend on your budget though as these machines can get pretty spendy.

Also, your currently machine shouldn't die so easily, give the fans a good blast with a can of compressed air or a vac to see if they are full of fluff

Also what are the specs of your current machine and how does the 'game' play?

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 29/07/2017 15:26:26

Sorry to jump in here but I have been wanting to ask a similar question. recently bought a new laptop and would like to use a sim on it BUT not sure how powerful mine is, no tech head

The spec shows as intel i7 5500u 2.40ghz 2.40ghz, with 8gb ram. graphics amd r9 375m 4gb

Any good for a decent sim?

an intel cpu with amd graphics...who knew?

Anyway the R9 M375 is no powerhouse by graphics card standards but offers about 3 times the performance of the integrated chip and is even slightly quicker than current generation top of the line integrated graphics. I'm pretty sure it will be just fine with any of the model sims but would struggle with full pc game type sims.

I have swapped all my hard drives for SSD's as they do make a big difference. They also do not suffer from clutter as badly as mechanical hard drives and remain fast even when quite full. This was down to the spinning disks within a mechanical hard drive as the disks spin quicker at their outer edge than in the middle. This gave high read/write speeds so when writing data the system starts at the outside edge and then works inward getting slower and slower read/writes as it goes. There is also the seek time for the mechanical head which impacts performance as well.

Thanks for everyones input with this. I tried cleaning up the fan and heatsink on the Toshiba without making much difference. Once it powers up its time to go make a cup of tea before its ready for use, and still wont run RF7.5 for more than 5 minutes.

I found out a guy from work has a Lenovo T430 of a similar spec to what I was considering so I borrowed it to try, its amazing! The SSD makes a massive difference and it turns out it can run RF7.5 without any problems at all.

On the back of this I ordered a refurbed one from Amazon for £350, it arrived next day (Amazon Prime is great!). *gb ram, 256GB SSD drive and it does have a graphics card, (forget the name) but its only a tiddler. Starts up in about 6 seconds ready to use.

The downsides are the track pad will take some getting used to, and its a bit small at 14" but makes it easy to get in the bag for going offshore...

Scott.

Good stuff. I have a 14 inch laptop and i find it too big and heavy so only use my little 11.6 inch jobby most of the time. Its not really man enough for games though as it has no active cooling and does get toasted up if you do too much for too long

Funny you mention that, its something Ive already noticed with the Lenovo, it doesnt seem to get hot at all, not even warm. My previous laptops all got pretty warm, especially if they were sat on your lap!

The Lenovo is pretty chunky, probably the heaviest laptop Ive ever had but it feels really well made, no flex in it at all.

Ive had the sim on it for 2 hours straight and it performed well, no stuttering or freezing and it stayed cool. Couldnt ask for more, especially at the price.

Thanks again for everyones input!

Scott

The efficiency of modern cpu's is really impressive. The one in my laptop only consumes about 5 watts. Its cooled only by a copper plate about the size of a postit note, has integrated graphics and hands down beats my gaming system from about 8 years ago.