AOL users, is this a scam?

Peter Miller

Last night I had an email supposedly from AOL which told me that it was now Oath UKLtd.

Being very tired and stressed I pressed a link. Later I was asked to agree to terms and conditions and in my mental state I did.

Talk Talk who own AOL said they thought that it was a scam but Ihave seached Google and find that there actually is a company and they seem to have connections with various similar companies.

My question is this. Has any other AOL user had a similar email and do you know anything about it.

I got so worried I have ordered a new Chromebook just in case (Well mine is a limited and I needed more space anyway.

Advert

Thanks folks. At least I have not got some bloke in a tiny room busy draining my bank account. The strange thing is that TalkTalk still operates AOL. I wonder how that works??

Maybe I won't bother to collect the new Chromebook from Argos  Or maybe I willindecisiondont know

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/08/2017 15:05:19

Posted by Peter Miller on 17/08/2017 18:09:46:

Tony

I am quite happy with Talk Talk. It works for what I want to do.

Peter, I dare say you are. I too am not interested in "my ISP is better than yours", I simply offered my very considered opinion that Zen is very much superior to down-market providers like AoL or Yahoo. I run my professional site through Zen, who are themselves eminently professional, with consistently top-notch customer service, and regularly score very high, or top, in comparisons of UK ISPs. My experience with Zen has been 100% positive. It's why I mentioned them. Frankly I wouldn't touch Yahoo, AoL etc with a bargepole.

Your right to be suspicious I have talk talk as email and provider and have had windows come up randomly telling me about a competition for a new mobile phone worth £600 and a new PS4 and more prizes then it gives you a series of questions then you win and it asks for details. All begins with talk talk window but it is not them.

One of the thing that I like about my package is free phone calls all day and free mobile calls all the time. Mind you I make about two calls a month on my mobile phone and don't even know my number.

The thought of changing my email address to all my contacts but not the casual ones ills me with horror.

• 1 month later...

Just got a similar web page to what I described above but it was a scam imaged on the amazon web site it is looking for me to confirm email and to type in other small details it puts it on a timer also to fill in the questions for the prizes. I must have a virus on my tablet so that it pops up. It pops up when on Ebay and takes over the page and the back button does not work I have to close page and reopen Ebay.