Wintering

Tony Kenny

So, the nights are drawing in, it's getting cold and damp and all my planes are out in the cold garage. A couple are hanging from their tail planes, a couple with rope around the fuz and the others are in repair on the workbench.

Should I be storing them in any particular way over winter to prevent any damage? Most are foam, one is ABS, and a couple of veneered foam wings, one with balsa fuz.

I'm also thinking of using a portable gas heater in there for when I'm working on models, but will that introduce damp and damage the models?

Do you think the wife will let me hang them above the bed?

many thanks

Advert

Foam will dent over time hanging due the weight unless you have spread the load with foam (like pipe insulation, bubble wrap taped round rope).

Fluctuations in temp almost as bad as low temp, and yes, gas not great for keeping an area dry. Electric black heat Radiant (Warms you not the air) is preferable if you have a supply.

I have an EXTREMELY tolerant wife, but not even I'd try the bedroom we were in (though I do use the others for building and storage!), if you are still able to speak or write please tell us how you get on...........................

Be careful it doesn’t damage you ! as carbon monoxide is given off from gas heaters and it needs ventilation. I think an electric oil filled thermostatic radiator would do a better job and doesn’t make it damper. That’s what I use I’m my shed. If left on all the time at a lowish rate it’s quite economical especially if u insulate.

Thanks for the replies.

Only got limited power in the garage. The lights are on the 6A circuit along with the house lights and I have a 13A extension real threaded through the wall, so full unwound I can put 13A through, but only whilst I'm in there, I wouldn't leave it alone.

The tail hangers have foam and I'll add some to the ropes too so we don't get dented. Batteries are kept indoors in an ammo box, away from any heat or direct light so it doesn't become an oven. But there is one nicad set still in a model, so I'll take that out.

I'll ask the wife about using some space atop the wardrobes.... she'll suspect it's so I can get more models in the garage as there's the BMFA swap meet coming up and we're only an hour away...

All of my models are in an unheated garage and an unheated shed. They've both got good air circulation (i.e. they're draughty) so I've never seen any harm come to my balsa, foam, or fibreglass models in cold conditions. I feel that temperature fluctuations caused by heating would be likely to cause condensation unless the heating was on 24/7.

The only deterioration I've noted was iron-on covering disintegrating on some of the models stored in the shed, which has windows, due to summer heat and/or UV sunlight. I think I've solved that problem by applying car window tint to the windows -- certainly haven't had any deteriorated covering in the past several years.

By having them at ambient temperature there's also no significant temperature change when I take them out to fly.  I bring my batteries into the house to warm up before I go fly though.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 10/10/2017 20:27:51

True story.............many years ago one of my club mates asked his wife whether she'd like a four-poster bed to replace their old divan. Naturally, the lady was thrilled and the bed was duly delivered and assembled by the bed company.

Not so thrilling for her, was when she noticed that hubby had taken to storing his 1/4 scale glider fuselages and wings on the top of it. I said to him that I thought he'd planned it all along, but he never admitted itlaugh

Percy, how does your flying site stand up to waterlogging? I'd like to fly all year round (cold no problem) but as I said previously, my local field with its poor drainage just becomes a mire after a period of continuous rain. Standing up OK at the moment, looks good for tomorrow.

I will indeed keep flying all winter, but, working so much, the planes will still spend more time hanging in the garage than they will be at the airfield!

Sounds like I should be ok with them out there as it's not damp. I'll just add some pipe insulation to the rope on the one foamie suspended from the ceiling.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 10/10/2017 10:04:52:

Be careful it doesn’t damage you ! as carbon monoxide is given off from gas heaters and it needs ventilation.

Gas doesn't give off carbon monoxide when adjusted correctly. As you say it need ventilation and it is the lack of ventilation that causes incomplete combustion which is where you get the carbon monoxide from. Correctly adjusted and ventilated the products of burning gas are carbon dioxide and water vapour. Best way with gas is to have it flued to the outside air but not always practical in most of our smaller workshops or sheds.

John

Posted by Rich too on 11/10/2017 07:54:45:

Is that in a garage Chris? Is it noticeably warmer?

Yep its in a workshop,not connected to the house and with other insulation such as wall and ceiling its nice and toastie.

Another tip is if you have central heating pipes in your garage, don't lag them, that way the radiated heat will help to keep the room warm.