Multiplex

Capt Kremen

Hi MPX users.

Looking at 'returning' to MPX after a few years, (mostly trouble free), with Spekky. (You can guess why!!!)

The MPX web site used to have a little Union Jack to click on and avail English instructions and associated links. Is it just me but can't seem to find that or English versions of instructions etc. For example I'm looking at finding the oft mentioned 'Launcher'. Is there any English version?

I'm thinking of getting one of the Cockpit SX sets. For a general sports flier, (4 prime A/C functions plus occasional flaps and or retracts), is it worth the extra flexibility going for the SX12, 9 or is 7 quite adequate?

I've handled a set and like it but we couldn't set up a throttle safe switch. i.e. a definitive up/down switch, not just the side push button 'throttle cut'.

(As part of flight line safety, my club requires this be physically demonstrated on all new models before flight).

The instructions don't give much guidance on this either.

Thanks in advance for any help on these matters.

Advert

Capt, the website and technical forum are in German, but if you use the Google Chrome web browser they translate on the fly and are very usable. The manual for the Sx9 can be accessed through the launcher program which you can get here https://www.multiplex-rc.de/service/downloads/multiplex/software.html, (any problems PM me with your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the latest manual)

I don't have the Cockpit Sx but a friend does and I've helped him set up several models on it, including large scale gliders and power models with flaps and retracts and all went very smoothly and I find it very easy to program, and we only referred to the manual on the first model.

The switches are predefined and you can't change them, but it does mean they are all clearly labeled, and when you activate throttle cut it first off tells you on the screen and then if you clear the screen (to say reset a timer or enter programming mode) it has a symbol to show that the throttle cut is active.

Capt Kremen, you have no doubt good reasons for favouring Multiplex, but at that price point have you had a look at the FrSky Horus X10? Looks a well made, extremely capable unit, and telemetry equipped receivers for less than £30.

Like you, I am a satisfied Spektrum user, but I wanted a cheap way of getting audible telemetry for fpv, and bought a QX7. Open Tx demands a bit of head scratching and research, but I was staggered at the capabilities of this £100 transmitter, and the built in signal strength telemetry feedback gives great confidence in the radio link.

Thanks for all your helpful info gentlemen.

The reason for preferring a switch to a button; an immediate visual cue.

If it's up or in position '1' for example, throttle is active, and down / position '0' = off (or vice versa if that's your preference). A button, is it on or off(?) Yes, I know I could look at the screen symbol but just (current) familiarity makes me look for a physical visual cue.

Stroking my rabbits foot, I've not had more, (than any other make observed), issues with the Spekky gear though when pots become worn etc. etc. and a little service is required even my friendly and superb local radio maintenance man, (I expect you know who), can't assist when he isn't allowed to access parts etc. etc.

I already have a MPX 35Mhz 'Cockpit', (now used for an R/C buggy in the back garden) and an early MPX Royal EVO - (35Mhz converted to 2.4 with the plug in module), so am conversant to a degree with the MPX gear and their quality.

Sheer practical economics of operating 50+ models, (without significant issues), made Spekky my first choice over expensive MPX receivers and associated items.