Free flight Kent outdoor flying

bert baker

For the last few years I have been a doing the BMFA chuck and duck evenings.

With limited success I would like to try my hand at a bit more of it.

My weapon of choice is a Veron Cardinal with ED 0.75 engine.

Is there a group or a club of free flighters in kent that regularly outdoor fly free flight.

Advert

www.clubmap.bmfa.org

A search for clubs with Free Flight listed as a discipline, with a 30 mile radius centred on Ashford covers pretty much all of Kent and finds 8 clubs (one of which may be just over the border in East Sussex). It wouldn't take long to contact each of these to find out whether they actively fly FF or just a few members that do so occasionally in a predominantly RC club. They may also know of any local FF flying outside of the club environment.

Posted by bert baker on 16/10/2017 20:04:14:

For the last few years I have been a doing the BMFA chuck and duck evenings.

With limited success I would like to try my hand at a bit more of it.

My weapon of choice is a Veron Cardinal with ED 0.75 engine.

Is there a group or a club of free flighters in kent that regularly outdoor fly free flight.

If that engine is a Pep or a Cobra, I don’t think I’d risk it in free flight model!

Because free flight needs large open spaces, clubs flying this discipline tend to have members from a much wider area than their name would suggest. For you the Crawley club (check the BMFA website for a contact) might be the best bet. They fly on Ashdown Forest for contests, but may have a local field for trimming. Otherwise the Croydon club (not the Croydon Airport one) have members ranging from Faversham in Kent, to Ealing in West London, and sometimes fly on Epsom Downs, Beaulieu or wherever the contests are.

There’s far more to free flight than what goes on in the evenings at the Power Nats, by the way; many of us think all that is is a load of people, few of whom have any idea of how to trim a model, making fools of themselves and having no respect for model flying in general and free flight in particular. An un-trimmed model blundering about in the sky and crashing is not a joke; it’s a sign of incompetence by the flyer and has no place at British model flying’s major annual showcase. End of rant.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 19/10/2017 14:58:09:

Try the Medway club on the Isle of Sheppey. They do have a couple of free flight and radio assist days I think. Flyers just pay a small fee which goes to the Air Ambulance charity. I did fly my junior 60 at one of the events a few years ago.

Yes we still have site on Sheppey for FF , radio assist and CL flying . We have tried to arrange FF days as we did in the past but it seems every time the weather has other ideas ! The FF meetings that Mike is referring to were arranged by our then Secretary Neville Legg who sadly passed away a few years ago . Our new FF Guru is Mike Smith who has won the BMFA FF Champs a few times . Contact can be made through our club web site or at www.medwaymfc.org.uk We do intend to have FreeFlight days next year once weather improves and we still collect for the Air Ambulance so a small fee will be collected during the day. dates will be posted on the BMFA calendar next year .

Posted by Martin Dilly 1 on 20/10/2017 10:56:50:

Because free flight needs large open spaces, clubs flying this discipline tend to have members from a much wider area than their name would suggest. For you the Crawley club (check the BMFA website for a contact) might be the best bet. They fly on Ashdown Forest for contests, but may have a local field for trimming. Otherwise the Croydon club (not the Croydon Airport one) have members ranging from Faversham in Kent, to Ealing in West London, and sometimes fly on Epsom Downs, Beaulieu or wherever the contests are.

To expand on Martin's post, the "Society of Aeromodellers", previously known as "Society of Antique Modellers" organise events in various locations, predominantly targeting vintage and nostalgic models - there are two UK chapters of this primarily US organisation - SAM35 and SAM1066, I believe that SAM35 is the larger. Check out sam35.org.uk.

(one of the biggest debates is whether "antique" refers to the models or the modellers)