West Wings BAe Hawk EDF

Advert

I won't, where did you get your pilots from? Same place?

Using little HiTec 55s (4.5g servo) they fit nicely, I already use the MPX Nano in a MPX Twister jet and they are just Hitec 55 clones so they will be powerful enough. I was going to use the 55 on the elevator, but I also have a MPX micro which is a Hitec 81 clone (9g servo) so I could use that instead as its a lot of tailplane for a tiny little servo!

Tom

PS - When's the Maiden?

The pilots I picked up from my local model shop, Moor Models, Croxley green, Rickmanswoth,Herts, great shop,you name, they have it. 

As  for my maiden it looks like being late spring. The clubs flying patch(60mX60m) is in the middle of a field which is used for crops.   Our farmer landlord has deep ploughed the crop area which resembles the Rockies, and I know first hand, the BA Hawk can really glide. I don't fancy the first flight being it's last.

I used a Hitec 81MG for the tailplane, to bomp that tailplane putting in the car will create a great deal of reverse torque on the servo, and plastic gears do not like that treatment .

Yes Tom, you have a few £'s worth of batteries there, but at least they make good model weights.  Keep at it. 

Terry   

Hi Tom,                                                                                                                                                                             I decided to use the two Blueies, I cut them off right at the shoulder, repainted them a blue-grey, with gold-yellow bone domes , they still look a little large, but anything is better than the ' no one at home' look. My canopy is now finised, but if I do find some  at 12th scale, it will be no problem removing them via the canopy base.

I made  a magnetic catch for the conopy, works just fine. A pal gave me an old 300W motor which he had tent pegged, I prised out one of the magnets.....Waste not want not.

• 2 weeks later...
Well unfortunately the new website is preventing me from posting the new build photos so all I can say is I have started the 2nd wing panel with ribs, spars and false leading edge glued onto the wing skin. Pilots are here as well now, might have to re-paint them though as they look odd in different shades of blue and different colour helmets one is white the other red. At least they fit though.

Tom

PS - how long until we go back to the old website, it wasn't perfect but its better than this!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well have been busy decorating, but now have a new model room to work in!

Thought I'd do the canopy, bit of a nightmare but getting there. Needs more coats of paint to finish.

Re-inforced the wing with glass cloth on the bottom, this will be hidden by the fairing when I get around to making it. Will probably make the wing removable as well. For some reason my epoxy isn't going off and its still sticky, maybe I didn't mix it very well. Oh well, will have to hope it goes off eventually. This plane has been a right nightmare, every job seems to have some unforseen difficulty!

Started spraying the plastic parts of the fuse (sorry Terry I am nicking your ideas). Not the best of finishes but not bad for a first attempt. Will probably sand it down next before applying the top coat. Haven't decided whether to put the film on before or after the top coat.

This model is taking for ever, but really need to get it finished before April as my Dad wants to borrow it for some exhibition he's involved in. He lives next door to RAF valley, so I'm just going to paint it black and yellow to save time.

Thats all for now

Keep it up, your getting there Tom. 

I hate spraying,  because I find it time consuming masking up , and cleaning up, also having to wear a mask being somewhat asthmatic.

I must admit, I did try and spray outdoors with a can of Plasitcote, but that was a disaster, so I reverted  to my old faithful  'Japlac' that was done prior to fitting the plastics,  if you have  never used  Japlac  it's a wonderful paint as any brush marks just flow away.

You would never believe it brush painted.  It also is an extremely hard finish.
 In my I/C days engine bays were painted with Japlac as once cured it was fuelproof.

Cheers for the encouragement, once I get the detachable wing sorted, I think (hope) most of the difficult jobs are done and should be plain sailing from there (fingers crossed).
Got all my bungee bits as well the otherday, need to assemble them but  the instructions are in German. I expect warbirds-rc.com will have some instructions on how to put it all together. How hard can it be

• 1 month later...
Yeah I'm getting there, weathers looking crap this weekend so maybe I can blitz her. Still need to finish sanding fin, cut out rudder, spray grey bits black, sort aileron servo covers or install aileron servos before covering wing in film. Then cover fuse. Then I'll be at a ARTF stage of fitting electronics