West Wings BAe Hawk EDF

Advert

A little bit more tonight

This Pro-film sure beats solar film, you can really crank up the heat to get rid of the wrinkles and it doesn't melt it!

Well thats the ironing finished, next is the radio installation and trim. Might not fit the motor and fan as my Dad wants to borrow the hawk for some exhibition. He lives next to RAF Valley where they fly Hawks.

Tom

Tom, unflown as yet due to the state of out field.
 Our  60mX60m patch is in the middle of arable land, after the havest it was deep ploughed and over wintered . It looked more like the 'Rockies' not suitable for an overshoot landing, but this Easter the field has been seeded, being turned back to grass.
I'm also perturbed about bungee launching, but it at least removes the onus for a hand launcher. My bungee is foot operated, so if I goof it's of my own doing. .

Well here are the current build photos, my deadline of Friday night is looming fast but there is light at the tunnel, without my pesky Dad wanting to borrow my model for his exhibition it might never have got finished

Glued the stabs on with slow CA, starting to wish I had put a second control rod to the right hand rather than relying on the wire joiner in case the glue fails. Oh welltoo late now.

I decided to use a bigger servo as I didn't trust the tiny Hitec HS-55, this MPX Tiny (HS-81 clone) should hopefully do the trick. Had to make a new servo tray glued to the underneath of the existing one. Need some smaller screws as well but used some plywood washers for now.

The aileron servos are vulnerable on the underneath of the wings will need to fabricate some flap hinge covers (well thats what the full size has underneath the wing) to stand proud of the linkages to protect them.......

Well thats all the hard work done, just needs trimming and the fan, motor + ESC to finish. Some other little jobs left to do are gluing on the wing fences, hooking up the rudder and making some aileron linkage protection. This model is destined for static display for a couple of weeks before coming back to me so no need to fit the fan, motor or ESC yet. Started adding the trim to the stab, profilm trim works very well.

So Friday night I have to finish the trim.

Tom,

My bungee is a foot operated ramp type, it was made to a designe of Tony Nijhuis, our
club has a container/ club room where it stored which save taking it home.

At last year's North London M F C (Baldock) open electric event, I saw the identical bungee being used to great effect.
My concern is the 'all moving tailplane' as there was no datum line on the Westwings plan for acquiring the recommended zero tailplane incidence.

My method was to jig the model to obtain 1.5 degree pos incidence on the wing, then use a laser level to obtain a zero incidence tailplane. 

hello terry-had a look at your hawk--look's really good---is it hard to orientate when it's flying?----i once made a mick reeves gangster-and covered it all black--looked the biz on the ground-in the air it looked like a sillouette-requiring load's of concentration............

ken anderson,,,,,,,,,,,,,..

Edited By ken anderson. on 19/04/2009 19:14:17

That looks excellent Terry, mine has now travelled down to my Father's near RAF valley, so I won't be able to work on it for a few weeks. Will post the final photos soon. You were right about the Dragon, made a bit of a mess of mine, but it doesn't look too bad from a distance. While the Hawk is a away will start building the Sniper so I have somthing less valuable to practise bungee launching

Tom

• 4 months later...
Badly, it went to a exhibition, came back with the stickers starting to peel off, in the meantime I have turned to the dark side and been building slope soarers. Still I cleared the board last week and vowed to finish off the hawk, I started wiring up the fan and ESC and the ESC failed after about 3 mins, guess I should have listened to Timbo about his advice on Tornado ESC's. Strange as I have a three other Tornado ESC's which have all worked flawlessly. Oh well this Hawk seems to be cursed with bad luck. I have another ESC that was supposed to go in a Raptor but it looks like I'll steal it for the Hawk while I await a replacement. Other jobs still outstanding are sorting out some flap fairings to protect the aileron linkages on landing and have also decided to re-do the ailerons as I'm not happy with the ammount of slop in them at the hinge line. Now I've got a bit more experience, I know that I need to strip off the covering and re-sand the chamfer to get them to work better.

With regards to bungee launching, have been using a JePe style dolley launcher with my Sniper, so will be converting the Hawk to a simple hook so it can use the same system. The beauty of the dolley is the model doesn't leave the ground until it begins to fly unlike a ramp launcher, and the dreaded wing tip catching the ground after the launch, the dolley launch is as straight as an arrow and strong as the arm that fired it!

Cheers

Tom

• 7 months later...
Hi Tom,

Here is my West Wings Hawk. I have been following your build and found it very helpful. Thanks.

I chose the T45 Goshawk colour scheme as I felt this would be the easiest to see in the sky. Its also easy to do!

I followed some of your approaches with the build. I too made the main wing demountable and I also used film covering (Profilm). One thing I did differently was the location of the ESC. I was concerned about cooling it and so I simply cut an opening in one of the ducts and strapped it to the duct with the ESC cooling surface flush with the intake duct.

All that's left is the maiden. I'll first have to figure out the best way to bungee launch it. How did your maiden go?

Patrick

Hi Patrick, well done looks excellent. As for my maiden, well I've been distracted by slope soaring of late and havn't got around to finishing it off yet but I keep thinking about finishing it, maybe one day soon! Good luck with the Bungee, are you using a ramp or a dolly? I prefer the dolly myself, less stuff to lug around and death spiral free

Cheers

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom. Thanks for the compliments. I did the maiden and she flew great. I was really anxious about it after having put in so much work into the model. Phew!

As regards the bungee, I went for a "dolly on a bungee" system (see pics & links below).

I got the idea from the JePe Jet. I made the dolly myself with info from Warbirds-RC. The bungee is from Hobbyking. I went for this system for a number of reasons: its easy to transport, quick to build, and most importantly, the model can't death spiral since its always near to the ground. I first tried the system out with my MPX Funjet. For the Hawk, I used 6kgs of tension, i.e. 5 times the model weight. The bungee system works great. Its quite uneventful and you have loads of time to react. You do need to run the EDF during release, however, to get her into the air. 

If you need more info, Tom, about the bungee system, just let me know. I must next do a video. When done... I'll post it.

Patrick