Micro Aces Bristol F.2b

In 2016, at the Cosford show, I visited the tent where Micro Aces were displaying their range of WW1 indoor models. In my club we have a fair selection of the usual WW1 indoor suspects, DR1, Albatross, SE5a, Spad, Neiuport etc so their prototype of the Brisfit caught my eye as it was different. Back home I placed my pre-order for the kit, thinking that I would get it by September (this was June). Roll the clock on and eventually I got my kit in February this year so it was put away as most of our indoor season had been and gone.

Today I decided to get it out and make a start on it, bearing in mind that the 2017-2018 indoor season is just round the corner!

The starting point

img_0546.jpg

You may have noticed that the instructions are a BETA version (wasn't told that)!

The bits

img_0545.jpg

The fuse crutch

img_0547.jpg

Applying stickers to the cockpit formers before fitting. The bits are so small it would be very difficult to fit them after fixing the formers, in fact every part is so small tweezers come in very handy!

img_2661.jpg

img_2662.jpg

img_2664.jpg

Formers fitted to the crutch, Uhu Por used throughout.

img_2665.jpg

Fuse sheeting fitted to sides, top and bottom. The Uhu Por was used as a contact adhesive to make this easier. Made a mistake here, I didn't bevel the edges of the sides (it does say so in the destructions, I just forgot!)

img_2668.jpg

To get the depron to curve you have to score the reverse of the sheet using the back of the knife.

img_2666.jpg

Nice curve

img_2667.jpg

Edited By Ron Gray on 21/10/2017 21:11:47

There's no way my hands are steady enough to build a model this small but it looks an interesting build. The village hall we rent for winter indoor flying is a bit small, too. I notice the video of the SE5a models flying on the Micro Aces web site is a hall that accommodates 4 badminton courts and is also very high.

I remember watching my grandfather repair watches at his bench when he must have been in his 80s ( I would have been under 5). He always clipped his apron to the bench to catch anything he dropped from his tweezers. I keep thinking I should do the same.

Geoff

I have an Eachine SE5a about the same size but wood. It's the second one, as I made such a hash of the first thus demonstrating my clumsiness Still, they're only about £15 IIRC from Banggood and (hopefully) my experience with the first will help with the second.

The big advantage with the Micro Aces models is that they're ready finished. The Eachine ones are bare wood.

Tim, the wind would have to drop to zero to fly one of these tiny models outside or you risk having a blow-away as I did at Ashbourne The Bristol looks like it'll be a stunning little model though and I'm watching with interest.

Geoff

I'm using a Flysky compatible receiver which has a brushed esc and 2 servos incorporated on the board which measures about 28mm x 22mm and weighs about 5gms. I got from Banggood and it cost around £10 or perhaps a bit less. It takes a single cell LiPo.

It binds OK with a Flysky module plugged into the back of my Taranis. The module is the same one I use to fly my V911 helicopter.

The main problem is fixing it firmly as it needs to be because of the servos. I haven't solved that yet.

Geoff

Elevator hinged and operational

img_2679.jpg

Rudder next

img_2682.jpg

Now onto the U/C

img_2680.jpg

The 2 carbon rods in the photo above are for the lower wing support.

img_2683.jpg

All made from plastic sheet, in some cases folded over and stuck together. Main legs have short lengths of carbon rod stuck inside the 2 pieces.

UHU Por applied ready to fit to underside of fuse.

img_2684.jpg

All stuck on. The is a coloured sticker to apply to the underside of the U/C to cover the white Depron (go back to the start of the U/C photos and you will see what I mean). The destructions say to use soapy water or 'tongue water' to allow it to be positioned as there is very little room for manoeuvring, must admit that I've never used 'tongue water' before but it does work and meant that I didn't have to get out of my seat to do it!

img_2685.jpg

Edited By Ron Gray on 23/10/2017 13:55:11

Next up, the rear gunners equipment (so to speak!). Now I thought this build had been fiddly, but this next bit of work really tested the eyesight, dexterity and patience!

Scarff ring gun support arm

img_2686.jpg

Both mounted to the scarf ring which has been formed out of a Depron ring with stickers on top, round the outside and later will have same applied to the inside!

img_2687.jpg

Twin Vickers formed out of folded plastic, plastic tube and stickers. 8 pieces in all make up the guns.

img_2689.jpg

Vickers mounted to the scarf ring arms. Note the ammo drums, each made from 2 pieces of Depron, a sticker on top and one round the outside. Boy were my eyes straining at this point.

img_2691.jpg

And finally, mounted to the fuse and that was me done for the night (last night).

img_2693.jpg

That looks really tiny as well as beautiful.

I find I have a head magnifier permanently attached when I'm building despite having my workshop safety glasses which are set to focus closer than my usual reading lens. Might be worth trying if you're having to strain to see small parts.

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Now, where was I?

Lower wing assembly

img_2779.jpg

I’d forgotten just how fiddly this build was / is. Nice little touches with the kit, they supply cover stickers to go over the cf wing spars.

img_2780.jpg

Now onto to the engine cowl

img_2781.jpg

All wrapped up in its own sticker (sorry for the orientation of the pics, no matter which way round they are on my computer, the upload rotated them as it saw fit)

img_2782.jpg

Magnets hold it in place

img_2783.jpg

Scored Depron and sticker ‘hood’ stuck to rad.

img_2784.jpg

Exhaust stack and header. 2 bits of Depron plus stickers

img_2785.jpg

img_2786.jpg

Quite effective

img_2787.jpg

Now, where was I?

Lower wing assembly

img_2779.jpg

I’d forgotten just how fiddly this build was / is. Nice little touches with the kit, they supply cover stickers to go over the cf wing spars.

img_2780.jpg

Now onto to the engine cowl

img_2781.jpg

All wrapped up in its own sticker (sorry for the orientation of the pics, no matter which way round they are on my computer, the upload rotated them as it saw fit)

img_2782.jpg

Magnets hold it in place

img_2783.jpg

Scored Depron and sticker ‘hood’ stuck to rad.

img_2784.jpg

Exhaust stack and header. 2 bits of Depron plus stickers

img_2785.jpg

img_2786.jpg

Quite effective

img_2787.jpg

Interplane struts made from printed plastic with cf strengthening

img_2789.jpg

And yet more fiddly cover pieces

img_2792.jpg

Tweezers required!

img_2808.jpg

Temporarily positioned on lower wing. Destructions quite clear about not sticking them in place yet!

img_2812.jpg

Before going further I decided to drill out all of the rigging holes, thank goodness for my pin chuck and mini drill set.

img_2813.jpg

Now we come to the upper wing assembly. The centre section has to have its edges chamfered so I ‘borrowed’ one of the wife’s unused nail files for this task and what an excellent job it did of it too. Methinks I’ll be keeping this in my tool box.

img_2816.jpg

Facing the ribs with coloured sticker.

img_2817.jpg

And over to cover the Depron.

img_2818.jpg

Stuck onto the wing in the designated place using Uhu Por

img_2820.jpg

Wing glued together and placed in provided dihedral former, neat.

img_2821.jpg

Left to dry.

img_2822.jpg

Let the rigging commence! Only a few photos of this but it took a long while to do it. Now if I thought Bits up to now were fiddly............

a5b47a27-03d0-434d-be8d-d96ee1703f02.jpeg

I used a needle threader to pull the cotton through the rigging holes and even then it was a struggle. I’m sure my fingers used to be slimmer than they are now.

c6cc46ca-c502-4815-8307-034780da45bb.jpeg

And the tail feathers

a5ed1e5b-5c66-4be2-874b-8e1534705645.jpeg

All rigging in place, waiting for final tensioning (will have to wait ‘til I get back home as I need some foam safe CA for that job as each span needs separate tension and anchoring in place). Amazing how much the wings geometry can be changed with slight changes in tension.

aedebd43-a12a-4c13-b6ea-ba9f6ab3cd8c.jpeg

Not too sure about the thread as it came with the kit but it looks like silky button type thread (sounds like I know what I'm talking about on the old haberdashery front, but I don't, it's just that the thread is slightly shiny and is quite a coarse weave).

Apologies for the multiple posting earlier, I'm building and posting this whilst on a mother-in-law visit and her broadband isn't that broad so I think that the multiple uploads are a result of the computer caching data when it is trying to upload.

Pah! who needs Permagrit when you have second foot toe nail files!