DIY water slide decals

Has anyone got any experience of making their own decals for an rc model using an inkjet printer and white inkjet water slide decal sheets?

Its to make the roundels and insignia for my all black mossi night fighter (2x LA40s) so i gather i need to use white rather than clear paper and i understand the decal needs sealing with an acrylic laquer before immersing in water. The big roundels would be some 4" dia.

Once on the plane, the whole thing would be fuelproofed with 2 part fuel proofer.

Any thoughts?

Advert

Yes, I have made several sets for RC Cars using the both the self adhesive films and the waterslide type stuff with good results. I used the method described in the first post.

I am also about to do the same again for my 1/10th Lynx AH7 Helicopter. I have scanned in the transfers from the Airfix 1/48th scale kit and have enlarged them for my model.

Very easy to do and very worthwhile.

Mark

Easier to make your own using self adhesive film and a circle cutter. Find the dimensions here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

Scale them to size using the ratios, cut the largest first and layer them with the smallest circle being last.

I have made the fin flashes as well using layering, sprayed them using an airbrush with Humbrol satin cote if the film is glossy. Obtained the film from one of our local signwriters who let me dig through his supply of off cuts for nothing. He printed the lettering for me as well for 10 dollars, cheap as chips.