80" Playboy Senior

Hi all. I already have a 80" Playboy Senior pylon model with an OS-30 4 stroke. Really love the way it flys so I decided to build another one but this time the cabin model and will power it with an OS-26. I picked up a laser design service Cleveland Playboy Short Kit, purchased all the sticks and other materials from Balsa USA and started building. It will be a slow build. Winters up here will last till next May sometimes June. I'll post pictures as they come available

Advert

Hi Monty, enjoy the build.

Last year I downloaded the plan for this and built one, powered by an OS26 FS.

What a delight to fly, full power 45 degree take off , just like the original, then cut the throttle to idle and every now and then click the tx trims to adjust the flight path. It flies about 2 MPH and just floats around free flight most of the time. I like to take it up fairly high, catch a thermal, adjust rudder trim for a big circuit and just sit and watch it fly itself.

If it is very windy, you can have a lot of fun hovering and flying backwards. I flew over 15 minutes recently taking off across the runway and never went over the center line of the runway or higher than 50 foot, then landed where I took off from.

20160902_062133 (copy).jpg

Darryl

ps. pics available in my photo album if you can access it. 

Edited By Djay on 25/10/2017 09:47:24

Edited By Djay on 25/10/2017 09:49:37

Nice looking plane Darryl, didn't you show the build. I followed it. Nice job on that also. My playboy that I fly has the same characteristics with the OS-30 4 stroke. Just a relaxing pretty flyer. Although yours is nicer looking. Wanted to show pic of mine but it keeps loading upside down and can't rotate it for viewing. Monty

A couple of years ago I built a Playboy senior , but electric powered, the bad news is it flew so well that I had to build 3 more for club members , it got to the point that I could not stand the sight of Playboys, i sold mine on and have built several other old timers since, my last one being a full size Powerhouse, that has similar flying qualites to the Playboy , but is a larger plane, I also enjoy the history of the hobby, although i get stick for electric power and film covering ! but when you get 3 or 4 old timers just drifting around on a warm summers day, it takes some beating and for little or no cost, best of luck with your build.

Hello Monty.

you need hardly any movement on the rudder. I fly mine using the rudder trim, just a couple of clicks then back to where it was. I only use full rudder when getting carried away and throw it around near the ground for a bit of fun.

As the rudder is above the stab you can set it how you like, maybe 1 inch each way and see how you get on.

I used pull pull cables as they are quick and easy to install.

Darryl

Got back from NYC Sunday Nd got back started on myimage.jpg Playboy. Seems like a slow process but it is a winter project and winter has arrived. 6" snow and 14 degrees. Also I'm sort of in unchartered water. I have the Cleveland plans but no instructions. Finished first fuselage side except for some final shaping on underside of tail and backs

Montyb, just picked up your post with a photo of your Powerhouse, looks like shiny heat shrink covering to me, I use the same to cover my old timers, and also electric power and I get all sorts of stick from other members of the club,

at least you have used a I/C motor ! you have made an fantastic job on the plane, I noticed that you have put wires from the tailplane to the fin, I did not put them on mine, I thought the joint between fuse. and tailplane was up to the way I fly my old timers. hope all is well with your playboy build Regards

Nice looking Plane Dwain. I plan on using five rite on this playboy just haven't figured out colors yet. Also from pic of fuselage side the cabin sillouette (spelling?) on the Cleveland plans are different than some of other plans. Anxious to start putting sides together. But it will be a few days. I'll keep posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Sorry for the delay but I really messed up. Forgot about left side right side principle and glued some balsa on the wrong side of one of the completed sides hence I had to build another side. Fun the first time not so much building the side again. Will start to put sides together and post some pics.