Flair Cub J3 self build kit

Looking for a first build and there is not a great deal out there self build wise. After a search here Flair kits seem to be good and several blogs and tips here. Then found out Flair kits are no more! Anyhow just found a Cub J3 kit and bought it.

While waiting for it to delivered I have been looking for build blogs OR previous questions. I am going to use electric for power and will look into that later.What I would like to know is the following. When I read posts on these older kits with one servo for Aileron its advised to use a servo in each wing. The threads I have seen on this kit build all use the single servo method. Is there a reason for this? is this just a cosmetic choice OR does this type of model not suit servos in each wing?

Advert

As Denis says, with a Cub a bit of aileron differential (more up than down movement) can make for nicer turns, you can do this mechanically on a single servo set up by offsetting the control rods on the servo disc, but if you use 2 servos you can adjust this electronically and fine tune the sweet spot.

When the flair cub was first out (25 years ago?) the basic Futaba servo was around £11, they are still around the same today, plus a lot of people only had a 4 channel radio, so it was really for economics back then.

BTW 30 years ago I had a Chris Foss Phase 6 glider with a single aileron servo, friend is currently building one and it's set up for a 4 servo wing now. I am also in the process of refurbishing an old Sig Clipped Wing cub and I've changed it from a single aileron servo to independent servos.

Thanks, I will go with servo`s in each wing. wont be as clean looking perhaps but might make it easier build for me. I think my hardest part will be sorting out where to put removable hatch's and best way to mount the motor. Would it be best to utilise the engine bearers in standard position OR discard them and put new bulkhead in?

The Flair Cub came in 2 versions: foam wing or built up wing. If yours is the built up wing version installing 2 wing servos will be straightforward.

A few of us joined forces to build one (about 20 years ago) for our club to be used as a trainer. As far as I remember it flew nicely. It was the foam version using a single aileron servo.