Cheapest supplier of DX6i ?

Tim Mackey

Its time for Mrs Timbo to go solo on the slope - and I would like to be able to fly WITH her. All our models are on 2.4Ghz so its time to upgrade her old XP642 set. To keep costs down a bit I do not wish to upgrade from my DX7 to anything else, as it suits all my needs, so have decided to get her a DX6i ( its her birthday soon too ! ).

Anyone spotted the keenest price lately -how much.... and where?

Advert

Right, after checking with the store, Inwoods tell me they are happy for me to publicise the price of a DX6i Tx

Collected in person at the NATS a staggering £45 or less !!

Now tell me, just what is stopping you going 2.4Ghz - especially as receiver prices are very competitive too. 

Mine's reserved... and will be Mrs Timbos surprise birthday pressy - anyone got any wrapping paper to bring ?

Timbo,

For info. the DX6i has a software switch which allows you to select the USA or EU output power setting so it's probably one of the few legal 2.4 sets which you could import. I persume Horizon did it to keep their costs down, only need to produce one type for all markets. 

I am not completely sure about this following statement, but a highly qualified techie clubmate ( Hi Andy )  and 2.4Ghz supremo inferred to me recently that the power outputs stated are only "peak" and the average output of the EU sets is perfectly satisfactory for normal RC use, the higher 1000m/w output of the US sets is peak only, and has little to do with the real world average.

I will see if I can draw him in to the debate again

Are all Eu sets set to a lower output or just ours?

If RX sets reject any signal other than from their transmitters does it matter if some one has a higher powered set? 

If higher outputs are not a problem in the USA, why are they a problem to UK regulators, why seek a low output?

Are Spektrum prices lower than the equivalent Futaba sets? 

I am thinking of going 2.7 but would preffer Futaba.

Is there any sign of after market RXs, which will be compatable with other TX suppliers?

Erfolg

1) I think so Yes.

2) not really

3) ask the government - I dont know why - perhaps too strong a signal could swamp other stuff?

4) depends where you buy them...cant be much in it but I think the DX6i is terrific value

5) then go Futaba

6) Not yet as far as I know...and most alternatives to Fuby / JR-Spektrum have had issues.

7) Tim

The way I see this power output issue if people are going to start using the American power outputs whilst flying among the rest of us poor rule abiding mortals they will gain little or no noticeable increase in performance but increase the chance of interference to others operating at the legal level. All that said I'm no electronics supremo so would be interesting to get some more informed opinions. I've recently switched to Futaba 2.4 and am more than satisfied with it's performance whilst operating on it's EU/UK  legal power output

I have more faith in there being good reasons if the limit is set by the EU than the present HM Government.

It is just such a pity that there is not world wide standard, rather than differences which could be more about regulators demonstrating there independance and authority than good reason.

Erfolg