Rc delta undercarriage

cymaz

embarrassed

I have been given a home made delta ( from the same club member that gave me his 4 engined own design).

I am toying with the idea of putting an undercarriage on it so I can fly it off tarmac. I don’t know how to do this, having never owned or built a delta. I am picking it up on Thursday so it will be a day or two before I can get some photos posted and general dimensions..I would love to see how other deltas owned here have had their wheels stuck on to give me some ideas/inspiration.

I eagerly await your photos.....thanks!

Advert

As Dennis has mentioned, the ideal location is just behind the CG. Depending on the size of your model this may work out to be10-20mm. In this pic of the Horizon DeltaRay (CG on the finger holes) you can see they have located them about 20mm behind the CG.

deltaray.jpg

This location stops the model sitting on it's tail and aids with takeoff rotation. It is also useful to set the undercarriage up so that the model sits with a slight nose up attitude, again to help with takeoff rotation.

Did some work on it today. Old 40fp removed as I found a 46ax in the back of the cupboard! Replaced the battery and switch as there was green corrosion on the wiring, ( more cupboard finds). Just ordered a FrSky Fasst Rx..

The CG was measured at 275mm from the LE by the fuselage.

Also found some undercarriage legs from an old trainer. However, there is no room at the front for a nose wheel bracket, so I’ve bought a tail wheel bracket.

Has anyone got any thoughts about fixing a tailwheel to a delta? I suppose it shouldn’t matter. The main gear will go just in front of the CG. 

Edited By cymaz on 13/01/2018 16:43:07

Also replaced the fuel lines and pipe work...

Edited By cymaz on 13/01/2018 16:46:55

Many many years ago before electrics came n the scene there was an ic traditional shaped delta whos name was followed by the the numbers 341. Golden oldies may remember the details (I cannot) .this had a tricycle u/c which worked very well. Sorry not a lot of help. Cheers

Posted by fly boy3 on 13/01/2018 18:22:22:

Many many years ago before electrics came n the scene there was an ic traditional shaped delta whos name was followed by the the numbers 341. Golden oldies may remember the details (I cannot) .this had a tricycle u/c which worked very well. Sorry not a lot of help. Cheers

Think you may mean this one flyboy3

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/rm29-363-delta/

Ade

I'd be tempted to leave it as it is Cymaz and land it on any grass adjacent your tarmac.

But, if you persist, could you fashion a front leg off the engine mounts? Is it a built up wing ? For the mains you could use the sort of set up used in Trainers? Bring the legs into the main 'box structure' and use clamps inside to retain them.

Posted by cymaz on 13/01/2018 21:47:26:

I have a couple of old legs off a trainer. I will make up a mock when the tail wheel arrives. if it doesn't look good then I will abandon the idea...thanks for the feedback.yes

I'd go with the front leg off the engine mount Cymaz, as if you fit a tail wheel, the delta may well catch the prop once the tail lifts; by using a longer leg than the radius of the prop, you will at least get yourself off the ground. With the sort of power you using, you could always hand launch and just use a taildragger configgeration for landing.

Ade

Posted by Flyer on 13/01/2018 21:55:40:
Posted by cymaz on 13/01/2018 21:47:26:

I have a couple of old legs off a trainer. I will make up a mock when the tail wheel arrives. if it doesn't look good then I will abandon the idea...thanks for the feedback.yes

I'd go with the front leg off the engine mount Cymaz, as if you fit a tail wheel, the delta may well catch the prop once the tail lifts; by using a longer leg than the radius of the prop, you will at least get yourself off the ground. With the sort of power you using, you could always hand launch and just use a taildragger configgeration for landing.

Ade

I’ve taken your advice and cobbled something together this morning before flying. It should work and not get in the way of anything..a bit of lateral thinking and raiding the parts bin has come up with a workable solution....pics to follow when I get home . Thanks .

For all who have seen the thread, I have an update !!!

Finished cobbling from this morning after freezing all my extremities out at Davidstow Club.

I have just a fraction over 1" of prop clearance with an 11x6 APC...

prop gap.jpg

I found a pair of plastic bracket of something. One I butchered to make fit and drilled the hole out for the nose leg.

bracket.jpg

engine bay2.jpg

The steering arm does not foul up the carb/pipework or firewall

tank bay.jpg

front.jpg

The push rod goes through the tank bay to the rudder servo

tank bay.jpg

The switch used to be in the front section but now the push rod goes right across the cut out. No big deal there is loads of room in the rear section. The switch will sit in there, behind the rudder servo.

Do you think that will do the trick question

Before I forget...Have I got the main undercarriage in the right place embarrassed

bottom 1.jpg

bottom 2.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 14/01/2018 16:33:13

Edited By cymaz on 14/01/2018 16:36:45