Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Advert

Cheers. Now I know what it is, I can report that a friend, who is instructing me in lathe practice, is, in the next couple of weeks getting one. A Golf. He says, do the engine and the electric motor together, a 200 HP Golf. And that would entertain.

But he also says, it will get him to the supermarket on electricity. I worry about him.

Percy...Your description is an HEV....PHEV is an ICE assisted electric vehicle. Other way round in other words.

Don, a PHEV can run as a pure EV, an HEV cannot. Only need the engine to either give a boost uphill when the battery is low or recharge up to 80% when on the move. And yes it can be entertaining. Mine gives 204ps using both. Think scalded cat!!laugh

Andrew

PS....Don just to help.....EV= Electric Vehicle.....HEV= Hybrid electric vehicle....PHEV= Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle...Sorry if i'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Posted by cymaz on 22/04/2018 19:08:58:

Range no problem for a hybrid...if you own that American truck with the battery and hydrogen fuel cell.

1000 miles surpriseparty

Cymaz..You're the Devil incarnate!!laugh...However if i was a gambling man, my punt would be on Hydrogen being Betamax and Electric being VHS.....

Andrew

Sorry Percy.....Just joking again...I'm also looking at the possibility of a Solar array to feed the house and charge the car. I think it's the way forward as i have a south facing roof and in the summer ( Do we have them anymore??) the sun is on my roof from 11.00am onwards.

Andrew

I once crewed a car with an ex lorry driver. He used to drive a artic, carrying hydrogen. Now Artics carried a max gross vehicle weight of 32 tons in those days.

He was terminally depressed about the experience of carrying hydrogen. Because a fully loaded artic is a flat thing to shift.

A hydrogen tanker was 32 tons to delivery, 31 tons 16 cwt back to depot. Or build thousands of miles of faultless 3000 psi pipework.

Hydrogen, you do the maths.

Re Tebay

Could not agree with you all more, the selection of pies in the Deli was fabulous. It is also one of the few places I have found damson jam!

Re Lake district passes

Great idea! Last time I drove them it was in a Mini Metro and it was hard work.

Re My EV journey

It was never a properly planned journey more a series of events over time really. A friend got a Prius a few years ago and it was really interesting learning about it. However as clever as the Prius is the fact that you had two propulsion systems and two energy systems in one car has always sat uncomfortably with me. Funnily enough we were out with him yesterday in his new Mitsubishi PHEV. Very, very impressive I have to say.

Then I heard about some start up called Tesla creating an electric sports car. Shortly after that I nearly stepped in front of one in Monte Carlo whilst working over there on a project for an oil company! I loved the quiet under stated performance as it zipped away, but not the price. For me though it kind of sowed the seed that an electric car was in my future, provided I could avoid being run over!

Step forward 4 years or so and I worked briefly with a lady who was utterly besotted with her Nissan Leaf! Shortly after that my employer at the time got some employee deal whereby you got £400 cash back through Nissan if you leased a Leaf. So we went for a test drive, were hooked and the rest is history.

Underlying all this is a professional interest in things electrical and the surrounding environmental issues. As Erf rightly points out there has to be a genuine gain else it is not worth it. I think there is a gain to be had with EV's and PHEV's

idd