Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Advert

I see the thread has descended into 4x4 bashing thinking. Some of you lot need to get out more. We’ve had a 4x4 for years and love them. They are great for DIYers, great for carrying planes, and make the best family cars - there’s a reason every manufacturer has one in their line up - THEY SELL, ALOT.

Meanwhile in other news:

https://www.zap-map.com/zap-analysis-rapid-charging/#more-38324

And on the commercial vehicle front:

https://www.zap-map.com/nissan-launches-e-nv200-40kwh/#more-38344

Interesting they say the average daily mileage for a van of this size is 55 miles.

Pip pip

idd

Went for a 2 hr test drive in the Nissan Leaf yesterday and think it is a very nice car, a bit bigger than I thought. It had plenty of room inside with a large boot. What impressed me was the e-pedal. After the first couple of miles I switched it on and after that never used the foot brake once. I drove on country roads, in town and on duel carriageways. Stopping at junctions, in traffic and parking all so easy. It would be good if they could put such a system on i/c vehicles. It has all the equipment that most cars have now, Lane hold, stops if it thinks you are going to hit something or a pedestrian and all round cameras etc. They told me they had 12 being delivered yesterday and if I ordered one depending on spec I may get it for the 1st September.

The four charging points that I mentioned in the Asda store that we sometimes use is, to be honest, merely a hollow gesture to say "look at our company, we're all nice and soft and environmentally forward thinking". Complete tosh, of course.

BTW, some of my best friends drive 4X4swink

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 28/04/2018 08:46:55:

I used to do 90 miles per day before breakfast in my vans, then another 30 or so later in the day.

But the 90 mile part was only three days per week, so the average would be less.

Fair point!

As always the phrase "There are lies, damned lies and then statistics" springs to mind!

idd

Posted by IDD15 on 28/04/2018 16:02:29:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ford-stop-making-all-passenger-cars-except-mustang-n869256

Perhaps there is a SUV in all our futures......

Having read that article it's not quite as drastic (though still quite significant!) a move by Ford as it sounds.

When they say they won't be making "passenger cars" they're only talking about traditional saloons ('sedans' in their language) and they'll still be making "trucks" (meaning pickup truckss, not lorries) SUVs and crossovers. And those types of vehicles are bought and driven by ordinary Americans in increasing numbers. In the past couple of years I've hired cars just across the border form the US in Vancouver and on 3 out of 4 occasions I've got an SUV or crossover. The fourth time I switched on arrival to a traditional "full-size sedan" as they didn't have the SUV I'd booked with snow tyres.

Going back to the question of solar panels and the economics thereof, a colleague at work sent me this link a couple of days ago to an article about his use of solar cells and a house battery. Interesting reading, though I haven't had a chance to quiz him about it yet!

Posted by Rich too on 28/04/2018 06:44:57:

I see the thread has descended into 4x4 bashing thinking. Some of you lot need to get out more. We’ve had a 4x4 for years and love them. They are great for DIYers, great for carrying planes, and make the best family cars - there’s a reason every manufacturer has one in their line up - THEY SELL, ALOT.

Sorry mate, I drove a 4 litre Jeep for 15 years before ny current steed. This thread bashes all, without discrimination as to motive power, source, or destination.

Posted by IDD15 on 28/04/2018 07:22:29:

Gawd help you on here then if you drive a 4x4 EV! smiley

I've been labeled a subsidy a subsidy sucking parking pariah because I have the temerity to charge at a Supermarket and it might be near the doors! Marvelloooose.......

idd

IDD.....SSHHHHH!!!!....My 4x4 is EV.....Please don't tell anyone..wink

Andrew

We're doomed, doomed I tell ye! Though to be fair as Don says IT does get spread around a fair bit smile

Re Solar Panels & Batteries

Certainly one way to go though, I think you need to be careful as the max power output from some of these batteries/inverters systems is only around 2Kw so would not power the average kettle. Think the Tesla is about 5Kw so pretty useful.

A cheaper but slightly less flexible alternative is to buy a power diverter to drive the immersion heater. A friend has one of these on his PV system and he uses no gas from spring to autumn to heat the hot water. Reckons the payback on his array was just over 5 years because of this.

idd

Tom

I thought it was the other way around, that the grid had an obligation to take power from renewables. I per chance the grid has a surplus the renewables get paid for what they could have produced.

Could it be the wind turbine was seeing wind outside of its wind rating. Or not serviceable?

In the past the wind turbines although not being capable of supplying power, were used by being driven to balance the grid. Another issue, again in the past, the wind turbines were driven to ensure that Brinneling did not occur to the bearings.

All these shortcomings may no longer be relevant, although perhaps some, if not all could be.

If you have some time to spare I thoroughly recommend watching the three episodes Fully Charged did on Orkney. The islands are basically a full scale laboratory for experimenting with renewables and IMHO its quite fascinating as to what is being developed.

They also did another episode on Hydrogen generation on Orkney using surplus renewable power. The aim being to create enough hydrogen to power the ferries. Again really interesting hearing about the challenges faced.

Start here! smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rybpaqhg5Qg&t=35s

The "problems" of over capacity faced by this farmer are being addressed which is good to see.

idd

Forgot to mention that on the hydrogen front that another two hydrogen cars (one by Mercedes) are to be released this year and that Shell have just opened another hydrogen filling point on the M40. So whilst very much a niche within a niche things are still moving forward on this energy source.

idd

Posted by Alan Jarvis on 28/04/2018 11:22:11:

Asda provide petrol pumps is that Tosh as well.

Of course not, but I can just see the Asda PR people sitting around in their 'strategy meetings' and worrying about their 'geen profile' hence the lip-service paid to car charging and their indifference as to whether those few charging spaces are being mis-used, as I think they are sometimes. I'm actually on the side of our 'leccy driving friends, although I'd not go 'leccy myself.

If they really want to be a bit 'geener' then perhaps they should start selling cucumbers etc without all the plastic wrapping tosh.

C8

Back to your OP. I thought,just out of curiosity mind, that i'd have a look to see how much my car would cost one year on. Now of course i expected it to be a couple of grand cheaper but no!!...12 mths later, it,s the same price!. Reminds me of an old motortrade saying "19 cars and 20 customers...they're all full price......20 cars and 19 customers...they're all discounted!". I suspect that there are more people wanting to buy EVs than there are vehicles available, thus keeping the price up but this will change over time.

Andrew

Now this may come as electric, as a Diesel it would be so much nicer, I am sure all would agree.

I am getting that vibe that Tesla may not be long for this world, unless radical surgery, I do not why I feel this way. Ah yes, it is it is the loss of £523m over three months, and a graph of losses that look like a e^x plot.

I was just reading that some manufacturers are now investigating the use of plug in cells, so as to make replacement of failed cells within the pack, economical. Rather than either living with lower overall performance or a costly pack change. I am guessing it is the practicality of arranging the fast making and breaking of the contacts that is both effective, safe and simple, that is the issue.