cowl fixing

Keith Evans 3

I am considering a design that will feature a removable cowl .It will be split along the horizontal--from spinner to firewall .It is a 40 size model fitted with an I.C. engine .The bottom of the cowl will be permanently fixed to the firewall and it is the top half that will be removable .I would like to use niobium magnets .The question relates to the fixing of the magnets themselves . I am considering recessing them in the bottom and top halves of the cowl .Is it sufficient just to stick them in with either epoxy or cyno or do I need to cover them over with thin ply to retain them ? Are top and bottom magnets required or could one half be a ferrous material ?I can't give the size of the magnets required as I don't yet know the wood area of the cowl I have to play with .Size of suitable magnets for strength purposes would be helpful .I know this could be like how long is a piece of string , but any suggestions would be helpful . The magnets will be pulled apart and not be able to slide . Keith

Advert

One point, use a magnet on one half, steel washer on the other. Use 2 magnets and the grip will be excessive. Common and nice system is a dowel peg(s) to locate the front, magnet to pull the back in, with a lip at the back to locate the rear, i.e. Stop it sliding about.

Or use a screw.

Its an obvious point but easy to forget - if using two magnets together it's necessary to allow the other magnet to orientate itself.

Leaving the top half of the hatch or cowl slightly proud - maybe 1/32 or 1/16 inch - will allow the fingers sufficient grip to overcome the magnets.

Using a dowel at the front prevents the airflow from lifting the cowl and overcoming the magnets.

I agree with the others about positive mechanical location needed and just using the magnet to hold the cowl in place. The magnet doesn't need to exposed. You can glue it/them in a recess and cover with 0.5mm ply. Using a magnet on both sides is OK but be very careful to get them oriented correctly or they'll have the opposite effect from what you need.

Geoff