First prop bite

Mr Sam

well the bugger got me!!

after having running problems with my four stroke i thought id try set it up on the ground again fires instantly but doesnt seem to be getting max revs and doesnt like to idle again

anyway i thought i would be clever and start it by gripping the spinner between thumb and finger and flicking it backwards to backfire and then fire up running in the correct direction,,,.....and err got my thumb in the way

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/samtait87/IMG_0103-1.jpg

still was totally determined to get the bugger started using this method and eventually succeded!!! for safety and ease ill still be carrying a battery and starter with me

Advert

I have been bitten by a prop - on a 'leccy model! My instructor didn't notice the trim on the slave transmitter while I was connecting the lipo. Made a right mess of my bin bag I was kneeling on!

Anyway, anecdote over; hope you recover quickly!

ouch yeah something like that happened the other week down the field chap connected up his glider and it instantly burst into life, another transmitter was swamping him although he was on 90 and the other guy was on 56

luckily no injurys but weware with electrics!!!

wimpy little nick - real bad cuts need a search party for the missing digits!

Seriously though, glad it wasnt too bad -  incidentally, electric powered props will do MORE damage than IC generally - this is because the IC will generally stop when obstructed hard enough by fingers and things - however....leccy motors just exert even more torque until the obstruction gets out of the way !!

My worst one was a foamy profile job. It was sat on my kitchen table, with battery etc connected as I cursed the ESC for not letting the prop run. In my stupidity I selected servo reverse without disconnecting the battery and the motor leapt into life. The model scudded across the table, and the wing tip hit my thigh. The model then span around and dug the prop (high speed, thin leccy prop) into my butt cheek! It cut through my lined heavy duty Crag Hopper trousers like butter, and put three huge slashes into my thigh and bum!

It hurt like hell, I stopped the model, swearing and cursing. As the tears (of pain) cleared I could see my missus, a picture of concern, absolutely peeing herself with laughter (she hadn't seen the blood all over the oak kitchen table by this time).

Needless to say, I now have a religous sequence of safety procedures whenever I deal with leccys.

Mind you, there was this time I set my hair on fire with the sparks from an angle grinder... long story!

worst one was fettling an Enya 60, just setting up the servo movement and mixture while sat on the back step.  A couple of bricks were in front of the tailplane as a restrainer.  I leant forward in a squatting postion and must have caught the throttle stick, as the throttle went full, the tail leapt the bricks and the model headed groinwards.  Luckily my knee and inner thigh took the brunt of the force.  I've still got a bit of a scar there.  Doesn't half make you re-think your starting strategy!