Returning to hobby

david 7

Hi all, not been flying for a couple of years now and not been on forum , I want to get back flying this spring just not sure the best way to start , I spent every weekend to get my solo status from my instructor and enjoyed flying every weekend, should i just go for it , or get some help from a instructor probley just a confidence thing , any tips would be welcome dave

Advert

Pick something nice and easy to fly - docile powered glider, high-winger etc. - and ask your instructor (or any experienced flyer) to just stand by you for moral support for the first few flights. Don't be too ambitious at first - just concentrate on flying nice tidy circuits, holding your altitude in the turns etc. and performing a clean landing.

I think you'll be surprised. You'll find it's like "riding a bike" - once you are in the air it will all come back. Most of the problems are mental (ie confidence) rather than real physical limitations I think. So gradually work your way back and you'll soon be flying happily around!

Enjoy and welcome back!

BEB

I only fly 72inch trainers and my junior 60 all electric, probley because I'm happy with them i really don't want to break any of my models , I have all ways found the site great for advice and insperation , your correct don it is a nervous thing , thanks for all advice Dave

I am getting serious about getting going back into flying again, but have a couple of quick questions.

1. I have several Futaba servos, never used, that are over 20 years old. I suppose they have nylon gears. Does this material degrade over time and become brittle?

2. I have several feet of very flexible, multi strand 13 gauge wire, but am not sure how many amps it is good for. I'll check around the internet, but so far only found references to A/C current.

3. I have many Sermos/Anderson power pole connectors but can not find anything in my notes as to their amp rating. As I recall, one could buy them in different ratings.

Any ideas?------Thanks in advance----Bob

Hi and welcome back!

To try to answer your questions:

1. Short answer, yes nylon degrades with time. But the degradation tends to be caused by exposure to light, not much light inside the average servo! But, you know having said that servos are really safety critical kit, and I think that if you shop around a bit you can buy perfectly good servos probably for less than you paid for the Futabas 20 years ago. Remember, there are a lot more companies about today and big traditional brand, high price, doesn't always buy better. So why not treat yourself to some spanking new servos and have one less worry?

2.Assuming that is 14AWG I'd not exceed around 3-4amps at 6volts. Some may push a bit harder, but I prefer things to be working well within their capacity.

3. Can't really help with this one, never used them. Maybe someone else knows?

Hope this helps a bit at least.

BEB

David 7, I agree with everything BEB said but would offer this variation if you're nervous: get the instructor to take off, trim the model out and then hand you the transmitter. Then if you feel nervous about landing, let him do it. Only for the first flight mind. For the next flight get him to stand beside you as BEB has said.

I am not a hot-shot pilot by any means but I am an approved club-level instructor. However, for several reasons, mostly meteorological, I haven't been flying for two months. I have two new unflown models in the cellar and a re-covered Junior 60 which I've converted to fly on an electric motor. I don't admind admitting that I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about flying any of them! Mind you, there's six inches of snow on the ground where I live at the moment so I won't be going flying anytime soon!

72" trainer eh David? Not a Telemaster 40 by any chance?

Robert, Which model are your Futaba servos? As they are new and presumably not left plugged into a battery for any length of time they are probably fine, I have servos of all ages and some much older than 20 years! Like BEB I wouldn't be particularly concerned about the nylon gears but corrosion of the circuit board and potentiometer could be an issue if they have been stored for long periods in a cold damp shed/garage for instance. I would connect them to a servo tester for thirty minutes or so. If you detect any hesitation/glitching or poor centring, then bin them. Otherwise I am sure you could find a use for them in a suitable model (Super sixty?). Nothing to stop you buying lighter, faster, more powerful servos too!

Multistrand silicon wire is not expensive and you don't need a lot unless you are building a multi, so personally I would buy something of known specification unless you are an electric wiz and can test it (I'm not blush).

I binned all my Sermos connectors a few years ago and have standardised on XT-60s which have several advantages:- gold plated, smaller, safer and the Nanotec,/Zippy/Turnigy liPos I use come with XT-60s. smiley

I would agree, old Futaba servos, properly tested, would be fine in the sort of aircraft you ate flying. I am fairly sure I still have 148 servos of 20 + year vintage in working aircraft. I usually find they get ditched because the gear train gets worn, and slop is detected.

What we have to be a bit careful about here is that we could be talking about two different beasts! A servo that is 20 years old, but has seen regular, if light, use is very different from one that has sat, in one position, in a shed for 20 years! The former fine,...the later I'd definitely be somewhat more sceptical about.

BEB

Also be very suspicous of any radio item that old especially switch harnesses.

That servo tester i suggested comes in a cardboard case ( yes cardboard stuff!) so worth putting in a plastic box with a switch harness ( a good non critical use for the old one ) and a nicad together with an extension lead to save keep unplugging at the very vulnerable contacts on the servo tester.