Rx low voltage

trebor

Advert

4.5v is the default setting on the Multiplex receivers for a 4 cell battery, that seems a reasonable compromise, too high and it will go off every time the servos are loaded up, too low and if the battery sees a sudden high load there might be a significant voltage drop which could lead to a Rx brown out.

If you are running a 5 cell battery, then say 5.5v should be OK.

I must admit I always fully charge mine but now I've got this Frsky telemetry I might as well learn how to use it. It's good to have another indication of something going wrong. I have a few volt spy's and volt readers mounted in the planes but you can't see them in the air.

Posted by trebor on 12/02/2018 19:03:06:

I must admit I always fully charge mine but now I've got this Frsky telemetry I might as well learn how to use it. It's good to have another indication of something going wrong. I have a few volt spy's and volt readers mounted in the planes but you can't see them in the air.

Exactly, my telemetry has picked up both a battery which was under performing and also a faulty switch.

FrSky D series Rx's work down to 3.5v & X series down to 4V. IMO alarm as Bob says should be set at 1.1v/cell with repeats every 20 secs or so but land ASAP.
It's important that the voltage limit is set per cell not as a flat lowest voltage. At 4.4v a 5 cell battery is in a worse state than a 4 cell.

BTW I use a single lipo on a small HLG used as a light wind slope soarer without any problems, Rx is a FrSky V8R4.

Trebor. You would be better off not setting an alarm at all than set a 5 cell to 4.5 volts. There is a lot of difference between 4.5 volts from a 4 cell pack which means they are getting low and 4.5 volts from a 5 cell pack which means all the cells are way way down.  In the same way I have seen models safely landed with one cell short circuit on a four cell pack hence only about 3.6volts. No way would a radio system work on a four cell that had all cells flat and dropped to 3.6 volts. 

Edited By gangster on 13/02/2018 10:38:29