A Very vintage vintage

Advert

looking great Dave, I heard you were thinking of an OS40!!!.. yikes.. mine has a PAW 1.5cc..and about 2oz of lead under the motor to balance, unless you have scaled it up you will be way over the top with that motor buddy.. with a lifting wing like that, you will also need a boot full of downthrust.. keep going mate..

No way slim ! It's being built to PW's sketchings and photos, same size as yours

I have an old used OS 25 FP which I am putting in it. At one time I was going to fit ailerons and thought the 25 would be good with weight of extra servo etc, but decided not to go that route........the 25 may be a bit over the top now, but at least I would rather have too much grunt and throttled back, than too little !

Alternatively I also have a used OS 15 FP, which I think may be a little marginal on power so onwards and upwards with the 25

Hoping to meet PW on Sunday at the NATS, will you be there on the Sunday ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dave, the louvres are semi effective, there is nowt under the hood to divert all exhaust, so being honest it does tend to exit from many places around the front being diesel, but certainly some does via the louvres.. all adds to the vintage effect.. twas my old fellas design, so I cant take any credit.. the cowl at the front wasnt on the original and he couldnt remember if it ever had one being a knock off free flight engine originally, so he has done quite a nice improvised job.. which is quite rare for him!!. aesthetics arent usually his bad laugh

• 4 months later...

img_5775.jpgimg_5774.jpgOk guys, in between trying to learn to fly, rebuilding trainers after unscheduled arrivals, life in general, etc, I've actually made progress !

It was nice out today so I got it out. OS 25 fitted, still needs the magnets to be fitted for the new and different nose cowl, the horns for rudder and elevators, and some decoration/decals

Thanks to all the advice and tips from reading img_5773.jpgthis forum I know how I should be doing things - but my 75 year old fingers are still learning ...specifically how to bend the heat shrink covering around double curves....oh and I think maybe a degree in gynecology would help also.

Do you think the CofG should be about 1/3 chord ?

Rgds DC

Using some old kitchen scales I reckon 1070 grams, with an empty fuel tank and no Rx battery.

Balance looks around 40% like this, the battery will bring it forward a touch, but seems it may need some lead

Yes, very gentle throttle and other handling will be done

PS my son 3D printed and painted the pilot, it's close enough to scale for me

Beautiful Dave.. I think I worked on 30%, but it came out more like 35%.. it flys best at a trundle Dave.. mine has quite a bit of downthrust.. and with the 25 upfront quarter to half throttle is all you need.. full power and it would loop !!.. fantastic job.. stunning little plane... shame we don’t know what it is.. ours is known as the “Billy West”.. after dads uncle who he remembers flying it in 1953.. good luck, I do hope she goes as well as mine.. fingers crossed. I would get it 1/4 throttle and a gentle hand launch..

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just seen this post Dave, and what a beautiful model.

I can sympathise with the pilot when I think of a .25 makes my BiFly aerobatic, and your beauty with its tiny elevator and small rudder, and no ailerons.

It is obvious in your write up that this is a radio assisted free flight model.

We have two similar lads at my patch, complete with stitched hinged surfaces who have compromised with glow power, increasing the rudder and the elevators share of the original surface area

And building two wings, to incorporate ailerons, for a different flying experience.

Truely, one of the best models I ever fly, is an upgraded vintage model, with ailerons.

The owner still brings the non aileron wing for radio guided flight, and this is all achieved on an OS15

This is a great OP to read

truly gutted for you Dave... did it get lightly tossed in the air as I mentioned..??.. mine has a 1.5 diesel at a very blurp blurp setting and it flies great... a 25 revving will hurtle it into the air and cause a chaotic few seconds I would imagine.. back in the day these were of course free flight, and would be glide tested etc, and the engine was to just pull it along as opposed to hurtle it airbourne... would be interested to hear how it met the ground??

• 3 weeks later...