The new GWS P-40

winchweight

Certainly is.  l like any of the less run of the mill aircraft, particularly those with an interesting story, such as the Flying tigers etc. As you know I'm playing with leccy models for the first time too, so anything that price gets my interest.

I'd quite like to see more of it and will wait the review eagerly.

Thanks for that David, there's at least two of us then! 

Shaun, are GWS testing the water?

Some people have an aversion to EPP, EPO, and it's derivatives.  Me, well most of my current near 30 plane hanger is that type of foam, from a tiny slow Glider to a very very quick wing. I have one "trad" foam plane, almost never comes out.....as every time it goes in the car it comes out with a dent or scrape, no matter how careful I am.

Its a shame they are not (as far as I know) doing a fully finished EPO one, as it might convert a few more people. 

Dave T......

I have  a Formosa, superb plane, though easily dented, marked, etc, due its material base.

EPP, it's derivatives and commercial "names" like Elapor all have differing attributes, but are much more resiliant.

Commercially available sheet and block EPP is usually quite granular with quite large (relatively) foam granules. There are differing weights, which basically represent the degree of compression of the granules during bonding, which in turn affects strength.

Can't (yet!) speak for GWS's variant, but Multiplex's Elapor is stiffer than EPP sheet size for size, but the individual granules seems more expanded, so lighter and in particular less able to withstand heating without shrinkage......you cannot hot glue Elapor in the way you can normal EPP sheet.

Glue and paint choice with any EPP type is easier than white poly foam, but you still have to be careful.

White poly foam is stiffer than EPP, but has little or no memory, wheras EPP will usually recover from dents/bends etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a GSW warbird, I'm currently getting to grips with a formosa (smaller) and was wondering which of the gws war birds would is 'best' (or are they all the same?) and how they compare to a formosa (currently with 2409/12 280 watts on it). I'm playing with the warbirds in FMS but I really dont get much of feel how they would fly in reality!

Any advice welcome !

There are basically two generations of warbird Nick - the early ones included the Spit, ME-109, Mustang and Zero and supplied with a geared brushed motor - they were smaller than the later generation which includes the P-40 FW-190, Harvard and do not include a motor. They all fly well enough, some better than others. The Zero is under-rated yet needs plenty of weight in the nose. The Mustang can be a bit tippy. Do you have a preference?

If you fly the Formose then you'll certainly not have trouble with one of their warbirds.

David,

Thats encouraging! To be honest I'm still flying 2 mistakes high with the formosa and trying to build up 'routines' I love the axial rolls and effortless inverted and seems alot of fun for the price.

My preference would be for a warbird that does not tip stall, but my heart would go for spitfire or mustang, although your review of the 109 was quite compelling too!

Thanks for the reply, Plenty of time to make my mind up before Christmas

nick

Nick

The FW-190 with the GWS reccomended motor is ok but in retrospect I wish I'd used a more powerful motor. I'm about to start building their P-40 and will pop a bigger lump in the nose for certain. The new airframes (P-40, FW-190 etc) are quite draggy (but admittedly strong) with thick wings and tail feathers so the standard watts/lb rule has to be considered with this in mind.

Hi Guys, ( yes i know you all hate me coz I won the P40 competition but someones got to ! )

This will be my first leccy model where i need to think about what kit to use. I currently only have a parkzone spitfire for quiet flight and it only has a nimh battery and brushed motor.   The gifted kit comes with a brushless motor and lipo so i am going to have to learn about lipo charging. I currently use a pro prodigy II charger which says it does lipo's but I keep hearing about balancing - i'll have a peer at the leccy threads for some info. Then I need to check out the 'ickle servo's etc as with my large warbirds i just chuck futaba 3010's in with no thought to size or weight. Nice project for me with a firm favorite subject. Top 5 aircraft would have to be DeHavilland Dragon (i have a leccy plan somewhere) , P47 thunderbolt, P 40 Tomahawk, SE5a, and Spitfire. All i need to do now is build the Dragon R and i'll have all my favorites in the hanger !

rich

Hi,

Slightly OT, but is it worth 'glassing' these foam type models, given that they will generally have a good brushless set up these days the extra weight is ot an issue?. I have an EZ* and that foam seems fine, but my gws formosa that I have only had a few months already has alot of dents from landing against weeds with stalks. I was wondering with if the gws warbird foam suffers from the same ?

nick