Useless tools

John Lee

Posted by John Lee on 04/04/2018 11:02:38:

There are plenty of threads describing favourite & useful tools but I'm sure that all of us who have been in this game awhile have impulse purchased tools that turned out to be effectively useless & now reside in the back of a draw.

Reaching for the pliers to change the blade in my Swann Morton knife I noticed a blade removal tool in the tray which was used a couple of times & then decided that it was more trouble than it was worth.

So what's cluttering up you draw which we should think twice about when trawling the stands at the next model show?

Visited the chiropodist today, whilst being treated we were chatting & I mentioned this thread. She told me that she always used one of these when she changed a scalpel blade. Then as I left she gave me a spare BRU that she had & suggested that when it was full I could drop it off in her waste "sharps" bin for disposal.

smile

Dremel Moto-Saw - sold as a fret saw - shpeil in the ad' talks about it being an accurate fret/scroll saw - perhaps it's me - but all I can achieve with it is a very rough approximation of the desired outline which I have to finish with my dear old Minicraft drill (transformer r.i.p. but still working with various LiPo batteries - 2S to 4S depending on what speed you want!)

Should have spent a bit more and bought a Proxxon.

Posted by PatMc on 04/04/2018 23:20:02:
Posted by John Lee on 04/04/2018 11:02:38:

There are plenty of threads describing favourite & useful tools but I'm sure that all of us who have been in this game awhile have impulse purchased tools that turned out to be effectively useless & now reside in the back of a draw.

Reaching for the pliers to change the blade in my Swann Morton knife I noticed a blade removal tool in the tray which was used a couple of times & then decided that it was more trouble than it was worth.

So what's cluttering up you draw which we should think twice about when trawling the stands at the next model show?

Visited the chiropodist today, whilst being treated we were chatting & I mentioned this thread. She told me that she always used one of these when she changed a scalpel blade. Then as I left she gave me a spare BRU that she had & suggested that when it was full I could drop it off in her waste "sharps" bin for disposal.

smile

It's an improvement on the Coleman's mustard jar with a slot in the lid and my snipe-nosed pliers I guess

Geoff

Some years ago when ordering something fairly lightweight from HK they offered me the opportunity to use up the remaining weight limit on the postage so I scanned through their site's offers and found a very nice looking and very cheap device for cutting an accurate an repeatable and adjustable bevel onto balsa strip or sheet. Convinced how excellent these would be I bought 4, 1 for me and the rest to pass on to friends or club members. They arrived in kit from, 6 pieces of nicely machined aluminum, a bag of assorted screws, cutting blades but no instructions. An hour or so later I actually got it assembled as it was supposed to go, got out some scrap balsa and gave it a go! Rubbish! It just would not cut a consistent bevel. I gave one to a very experienced and skilful modeling friend and asked him to see what he thought, later that week he phoned me to say that it was by far the nicest paper weight he had ever seen!!!! I still have two left. Lol