Bi-plane C of G

ericrw

Advert

Basically you calculaste the CG for each wing and then put it in the middle. This normally works pretty well. I tend to use 25% chorrd on the top wing and 25% chord on the bottom wing and then draw a vertiocal line in the middle of the two points.

If the top wing is a lot bigger than the bottom one then move the CG further forward.

Hi Peter, to continue on your answer, how then do you physically balance the model to ensure that the CoG is as per your calculation.

I assume that one option is to mark the underside of the top wing where your vertical line intersects the bottom surface of the top wing, and use fingertips there...

I do it differently to Peter but the result is pretty similar. I measure from the leading edge of the most forward wing to the trailing edge of the rear most wing (including any wing sweep) and then divide by 3. Whatever that distance is i measure back from the leading edge of the forward wing and that's my start point.

As the top wing is usually the most forward and easiest to balance from i balance it there at the point i just calculated.

'my' method is shown, along with Peters, on this website. https://www.modelairplanenews.com/balancing-biplanes/

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 08/05/2018 13:53:48