What goes where?

Hi, I am an experienced power flyer and have been given a 'Multiplex Heron' as a gift.

My intention is to set it up with flaps so that I can set up 'crow' ,camber, reflex etc , I will be using a 'Lemon' 10 channel RX and I have realized I do not know what goes where when plugging in separate ailerons and separate flaps. (I would like to use separate flaps so that in certain flight modes I can combine them to achieve full wing length ailerons)

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike

"What goes where" depends on what channels the Tx is sending the various conttrol signals on, which will depemd on the Tx brand and/or personal preference.

What Tx are you using? Once we know that, someone with the same brand/model will jump in with advice.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 27/05/2018 12:44:43

Although you're an experienced power flyer you might want to think what control you put the crow braking on, on my electric gliders (inc a Heron) I put the crow braking on the throttle stick, throttle back = full crow, with power on a slider. This way you can easily modulate the crow braking on landing.

BTW the Multiplex set up in the manual is pretty spot on.

On my Dx9 I have the following set-up:

1THRO:Left Ail

2AIL:Right Ail

3ELEV:Elevator

4RUDD:Rudder

5GEAR: R Flap

6AUX1:L Flap

7AUX2:Motor

I then use 3 Flight modes as stated in my letter published in the May 2018 RCM&E:

"...... in the March issue states that 'Regular gliderist will, most likely, allocate the motor to a switch at the Tx and use the main throttle stick for crow braking.......you may prefer to have the motor on the usual throttle stick and flaps on a slider.' Well there is a third way.

On full house gliders my default is to use 3 flight modes set up as follows:

FM1 - Designated 'launch' Motor on throttle stick, flaps/crow disabled. Fly the model as a conventionally powered aircraft.
FM2 - Designated 'cruise' Throttle stick, motor and crow disabled. Flaps either disabled or on a side lever for a few degrees reflex or positive camber. Fly the model as a pure glider.
FM3 - Designated 'landing' Crow on throttle stick with elevator compensation, motor disabled, enables precision crow-assist arrivals.

For a go-around from a baulked landing or to climb away when gliding you simply open the throttle & switch to FM1, any crow goes away automatically & you have instant full motor power.

Having the motor & crow disabled on FM2 means you do not have to worry about the throttle stick position when thermalling; as primarily a power flier I often find myself inadvertently operating the throttle stick when gliding but in this case no harm is done.

I have this set up on both my Spektrum DX9 and Jeti DS-16. The basis in Spektrum is to use the 'Sailplane' model type with Motor on the Throttle stick. Then make 'Throttle cut' active on FM2 & 3 whilst the Camber System has inhibited input in FM1 & 2 with Spoiler input in FM3."