Real flight 8

Martian

• 2 months later...
Advert

I've only been flying for a while and still on basic high-wing trainers. After much searching (initially for a Phoenix 5.5, to no avail), I bought RF 8 as a download from Steam. This option was significantly cheaper than buying the disc and the download was quick and smooth. I then bought a Spektrum wireless dongle, which simply plugs into a spare USB port in my laptop (Windows 10).

I've now completed 25 hours of simulated flying with RF 8.

The software has a good range of aircraft and the scenery is varied and challenging. I like the straightforward way I can change the flying conditions like wind speed/direction and degree of turbulence. So far RF 8 has helped me enormously with the flying basics and, given my limited real flying time, seems to me to be an accurate simulation of real conditions. There are still lots of menu options that I have yet to explore but, on the whole, I consider it to have been an excellent purchase.

• 2 months later...
Posted by Dave Hess on 23/08/2018 23:05:38:

I have a question about RF8. If I get the software only version, can i connect my Frsky Q X7S directly by USB or do I need a separate dongle or something?

Answer some of your question Dave

RF8 is trying to protect its future with its own dongle connected to its own controller

The claim being that you do not wear out your field Tx

All Sim software only uses your sticks, by cable, protecting Their Asset with a dongle

The Dongle is not Futaba or any other make, it is protection against copying

The only true way to fly RF8 is with the complete kit, as far as we know yet

The software only disk is to upgrade existing old RF to RF7

So you need to own old RF already

Edited By Denis Watkins on 05/11/2018 19:41:06

Posted by Denis Watkins on 05/11/2018 19:38:09:
Posted by Dave Hess on 23/08/2018 23:05:38:

I have a question about RF8. If I get the software only version, can i connect my Frsky Q X7S directly by USB or do I need a separate dongle or something?

Answer some of your question Dave

RF8 is trying to protect its future with its own dongle connected to its own controller

The claim being that you do not wear out your field Tx

All Sim software only uses your sticks, by cable, protecting Their Asset with a dongle

The Dongle is not Futaba or any other make, it is protection against copying

The only true way to fly RF8 is with the complete kit, as far as we know yet

The software only disk is to upgrade existing old RF to RF7

So you need to own old RF already

Edited By Denis Watkins on 05/11/2018 19:41:06

I'm not sure about the disk version but the Steam version (RF8 only) does not use a dongle for copy protection so will work with pretty much any USB interface. I use it with either the Horus in USB mode or via a Rx2Sim wireless interface.

Posted by Wihtgar on 05/11/2018 22:33:40:

Does the 22 in 1 Flight Simulator Cable come with its own flight simulator software or does it enable you to use other flight simulators that are available online e.g. PicaSim?

Yes. You'll see when you get the disk. I guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

• 8 months later...

incidentally RF VR works very well. please do not think it has the resolution of the 2D environment. Perhaps in later upgrades it will, but for now, at a distance, I have to put on smoke etc to discern the model. Otherwise VR a great environment and kills a lousy day when I can't fly from my site