Futaba 14sg or 16sz, any thoughts?

Rich too

My Futaba 7c is getting on a bit and probably needs a service (if that is cost effective?), and with all the talk of a 400ft flying limit, I thought it was time to get a radio with telemetry.

For years I have been set on the 14sg as an upgrade, but after some reading I am now swaying towards the 16sz (almost the spec of the 18sz but much cheaper). It seems to have very positive reviews.

I would be interested in hearing opinions on it. Which would you buy?

We can't have Horus and Taranis hogging the limelight wink

Edited By Rich too on 14/06/2018 08:56:21

Advert

I have the 14SG which is a great radio . Despite not being “technical” I use quite a number of its features ( thanks to Malcolm Holts excellent instruction book!). If I was buying a new one I would go for the 16SZ with its larger screen and updated features as it’s a newer set. I find the Futaba “function “ set up incredibly easy to use and understand the 16SZ is similarly “function based”. That means you can have a number of channels doing the same thing but operated by one switch or stick. It’s easy and you don’t need to learn any nasty programming skills! The only downside on Futaba for me us the relatively flimsy antenna but overall quality is as good as I come to expect from them.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 14/06/2018 09:27:47

Cheers Rich. A number of people also have Taranis at my club too and like it, but they are the slightly more tech orientated folk . I am a bit old fashioned and admit I’m not great at electronics, but I love the way Futaba just works straight off the shelf. I don’t do very complex models but will be using 9 channels when I put my Hurricane together and it makes it so very very easy😊

Rich, I have the 14SG for some while and I am very happy with it. I have only ever owned Futaba purely because the TX and peripherals seem bullet proof. The use of telemetry bits are available, although I accept it is not the cheapest around. Once you get round the programming routine it is quite intuitive. yes

For what it’s worth I have the 14SG & the 18SZ....they are both great radios. I prefer the 18 due to the colour touch screen and the logic behind it when used so if the 16 is similar to that then go for it instead of the 14. I second the purchase / use of Malcolm Holts kindle books - these are really helpful and interesting! It is now possible to copy models from the 14 to the 18 with the latest software updates from the Ripmax / Futaba website.

I cannot comment on Taranis as I have never seen one being programmed but do hear some very positive comments about them....however Futaba flows in my bloodstream too!😉

Futaba for me as well, I'm 'old school'. Never had a signal loss, brown out or such with my 7C on FASST. It is bullet proof. I bought a new 8FG Super and although it had 14 ch and backlit screen I just didn't like the programming method, too nerdy for me and I hated the feel of it so I sold it. I looked at the 14SG but that too was similar and not ergonomic enough for me. I then bought a s/h 12FG and could not be happier. Very powerful 14ch radio with 8 conditions per model and you don't have to work around things when it comes to programming which I detest. For me the weight and battery life are important too. The 16 and 18SZ are nice but I don't need all the 'bells and whistles' just solid functionality.

Rich, if you only fly FASST do consider a used 12FG or 12Z. There was a (like new) 12Z on BMFA classifieds the other day for £175. If you do go for a newer model do actually handle it first.

Some knowledgeable Futaba users here that could hopefully help, a Friend has just got an 18SZ and we were discussing telemetry functionality.

Looking at the specs on the Futaba site I couldn't see RSSI listed as a Rx telemetry output, does anybody know if this radio has any form of signal strength telemetry.

Thanks

I recently upgraded from a Futaba 10c to a 16SZ and have been very pleased with my purchase. The 10c whilst bulletproof in operation, was not easy to program. The reason for the change was to take advantage of the cheaper T-FHSS receivers and ease of programming. The only drawback I have found is that although it has telemetry, you only get audible warnings if you plug in a set of headphones. If you are a Futaba fan, I would say go for it.

I think I've worked it out, the only signal strength indicator relates to the strength/function of the telemetry signal from the Rx back to the Tx and not a measure of the link from Tx to Rx.

I stand to be corrected if I've got this wrong, also couldn't make out in the 18SZ whether the loss of this link was, other than the symbol on the screen, linked to any alarm mechanism.

Hi Ian I agree an external audible warning like battery low or 5minutes to landing might be nice . However I must admit when there are a few pilots flying at once that can be disruptive and a single earphone is a decent compromise if you want that . I did use the vibration alerts where there are a few different ones offered but to be fair I hardly do that now as I find it off putting especially when buzzing as I’m trying to land. I use the voltage telemetry a lot for pre flight checks but tend not to bother much with setting in flight warnings as I’m not keen on the buzzing.

• 3 weeks later...

Rich, very nice, just a word of warning if you are using some older FrSky FASST compatible receivers, when Futaba did an RF update about 3 years ago there were some issues with the FrSky FASST compatible receivers and these too had to be updated, so if you have any older Frsky FASST compatibles you will need to update them before using with your new tx.

Note no issues with then older Futaba FASST rxs though.

No ce Rich. The 16ch looks great that would be my choice for a new TX. I’m surprised though that Jason’s son finds the 14SG “too basic” as it certainly has all I need . I find the duals good and quality and operates fine, but if buying new the 16 makes most sense being a new model.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 09/07/2018 20:52:34:

Rich, very nice, just a word of warning if you are using some older FrSky FASST compatible receivers, when Futaba did an RF update about 3 years ago there were some issues with the FrSky FASST compatible receivers and these too had to be updated, so if you have any older Frsky FASST compatibles you will need to update them before using with your new tx.

Note no issues with then older Futaba FASST rxs though.

Thanks Frank, I haven’t used FrSky receivers for a while now so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks gents.