Bracing wires ....help needed please

cymaz

I am going to replace the wing wires on the 1/4 DH60 with the Mick Reeves flat wire and his clevis system. The old system I have is using 2mm clevises and they are not really up to the job.

Anyway, where the wing bracing wires meet each other front and rear on the wing there is a small retainer/ joiner that holds the crossing wires together.

What’s the best way to make these joiners ? And how do I know what angle to cut them so the wire can be clamped between them? I will post a picture.....

ce7d7f65-1e99-428f-8522-4ecd1ac74cba.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 16/06/2018 08:59:09

Advert

I have seen one model where the builder had sown a small button in between the wires to separate them, presumably to prevent or minimise RF interference. Where the wires are not in direct contact, maybe a short length or dowel, attached with sowing thread and then dabbed with cyno?

Cymaz
Question one, is that picture of your model or the full size? If it's a model I doff my hat to you.
Now coming to your question. The short acorns yo will have to be made of wood dowel and the angle will have to be either measured from the wires or eyeball it like I did for the long acorns my Tiger Moth. I did have to make few but I got them right.

Posted by flight1 on 16/06/2018 13:26:38:

Pete?? have you bought flat wire as I have some that might suit that I didn't use + fixings to silver solder on?

Richard..all ready had a set from when I was building the orange and white Stampelaugh

Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 16/06/2018 10:47:26:
Cymaz
Question one, is that picture of your model or the full size? If it's a model I doff my hat to you.
Now coming to your question. The short acorns yo will have to be made of wood dowel and the angle will have to be either measured from the wires or eyeball it like I did for the long acorns my Tiger Moth. I did have to make few but I got them right.

Manish

Its for this!

finished gipsy moth 014.jpg

I have replaced the rigging wire as shown in the photo