MAK 15 MP

Right! Building at last. THis one is turnng out to be a bit more of a problem. I keep finding things that are not quite right on the drawing ans also realising that some tchings need changing a bit.

Here is the basic centre section of the wing and really most of the fuselage

dscf4088.jpg

There are four carbon fibre tubes, two each side for the wing joiners. The white paper tubes between the spars are for the servo leads tothe ailerons. I am hoping just to feed the servo leads through to a Y lead in the cabin area.

dscf4089.jpg

This is the front view with front carbon tube showing. The paper tubes need to be swept forward a bit more at the root.

There is quite a lot of sheeting and cap strips to be added

dscf4090.jpg

The fuselage pod is very simple. THe formers a re glued to the crutch. The ply formers have balsa edges to allow for pinning down the planking. and also to give much more gluing area for the former with the undercarriage leg.

The ESC will slide in under the motor and battery platform.

dscf4091.jpg

Top view of the pod frame work. The black is velcro on the battery platform. Not sure just how far forward or back the battery will need to be.

dscf4092.jpg

Dry assembly of the pod and wing. The pod will have some of the planking done before it can be glued on.

Advert

Looking good Peter - I'm envious, mainly due to you being much further on than I expected, and much further on than I am!!!

The last thing I want to do is copy your ideas, so I'll have to break out the thinking cap and come up with something all my own soon.

I've been busy finishing off my latest effort over the past few days: I made all the transfers yesterday and fitted them today, so there's just one small hatch to modify and it's time for flying, if the weather improves.

Posted by Peter Miller on 14/08/2018 18:06:38:

No reason not to take ideas from other designs/and especially insist on refusing to take inspiration and ideas from elsewhere.

More a case of adopt/adapt rather than actually copy in this case, I think, but your take on the Clark Y 'foil appeals greatly. That looks likely to happen.

Hi Chris

This model is basically a glider so Clark Y is a great choice.NACA 2414 or3414 are great for sports aerobatic models-

I remember a glider design in Flying Models. The chap was winning competitions and all the other competitors who were flying models with facy Selig and Eppler airfoils asked him what he was using on such a sensational winning desing.

His answer was "Clark Y"

Well, got quite a bit more done,

The centre section has been sheeted

dscf4095 - copy.jpg

Ther underside has extra sheet at the rear for the exit of the snakes

dscf4096 - copy.jpg

The wing is built flat onthe board. Stage one, all the spars laid down and lower L.E sheet.

dscf4097 - copy.jpg

The trailing edge is a bit more complicated with some 1/16" sheet and the the trailing edge shaped from 1/8 sheet. Rear spar is spruce as it doesn not have the suport of the leading edge sheet.. The 1/16 sheet reinforces the joints in the T.E.

dscf4098 - copy.jpg

dscf4099 - copy.jpg

The centre section is propped up 1/8" on the side away from the wing being built. This will give the correct dihedral, about 1/2". Then the ribs are fitted and the carbon fibre rods.. Apart from rib one the ribs do not give much support to the rods and indeed the holes have to be adjusted to get the rod properly aligned with the centre section tubes.

The webs between the tubes and spars give it the strength

Success,The wing slides into the centre section perfectly!! Miracles will nevexr cease.

dscf4100 - copy.jpg

Detail showing the spar, rods and webs

dscf4101 - copy.jpg

Now the rest of the sheet etc can be added and the aileron built.

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/08/2018 15:11:36

Gardening???!!! I have about a 3rd of an acre of which 80% is pure jungle and I mean jungle. Even got the odd deer living in there at times. I occasionally mow the grass and wave a hedge trimmer over the worst bits.

Pub? Nope I have a couple of tots before bed.

Washing? it takes five minutes to stuff it all in the washing machine and another five to hang it on the line.

Ironing? Nope.. I do cook proper midday meals. I even hoover a bit. Always know when it is time to hoover the stairs...when the balsa chips reach the bottom step.

Mind you, I also build fast.That progress is done in about a couple of hours a day maximum.

• 2 weeks later...

Right! Quite a lot of progress now.

The top pof the fuselage pod has been planked. The bottom has not been planked as I need to align the crutch with guide marks inside the root ribs to get the correct angles.

dscf4108.jpg

Inside the pod the mounts for the rudder and elevator servos have been fitted. With this model a lot of the installation has to be done on a cut and try basis.

dscf4109.jpg

This is the underside view showing the hatch on which the aileron servo is fitted.. The bellcrank has been cut down by one hole to get it to fit.

dscf4111.jpg

Top view of the aileron servo and push rod. It is a bit fiddly but it works well.

dscf4110.jpg

The wing panel with the aileron. The sheeted areas are scale and are at the hinge and horn locations. I will add a central hinge.

dscf4107.jpg

The pod has now been glued to the centre section. There will be another former in two parts glued to the centre secrtion and the planking wil go back to that. The extreme rear of gthe pod is made from small blocks.

dscf4112.jpg

The basic model assembled At 70" span without the tips it looks pretty reasonable. and it weighs just on 16 ounces. My target weight of 3 lbs is looking very hopeful

dscf4106.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, Got on with the model and it is now ready for covering. I can say that fitting all those capstrips on the wings is a bit tedious

mak 5 sep (2).jpg

This underside view shows the exits of the snakes, also the cooling air exit It may look small but this is really a glider so not going to thrash the motor

mak 5 sep (3).jpg

The tail surfaces. These are pretty large but they are working with a very short moment arm.

mak 5 sep (5).jpg

The pattern for the canopy took vast amounts of 1/2" sheet. It has been laminated and quite a bit is now in tne rubbish bin.

mak 5 sep.jpg

Now for covering. I have only seen two photos of the aircraft. One was dark all over, the other is light coloured. I based my CO2 version an the dark picture and thought that red would be suitable for a Russian aircraft.

I have emailed a major Russian Air force museum but they haven't answered. I also emailed The Vintage Glider Club but again no answer although I know that they do tend to be verty helpful

It wil be electric powered. Something like a3535 motor, 2200MaH 3 cell battery.

I have just been checking the weight and allowig for the final few bits such as cowling and wheel the final weight will be about 2 lbs 12 ounces. Wing Span 72". Wing area is 616 sq in Wing loading aproximately 10 ounces per sq foot.

I was highly delighted to find that witha motor and battery in place the CG is spot on.

Weather permitting air tests will be next weekend.

AND YES, Graham Ashby insisted that I build it. so it will evenually be in RCM&E

I did get one short test flight. Even though the CG was were it was on my free flight model it was too far back and the elevators were terribly sensitive.

I can say that once I went to low rates and cut the throtte I managed to get it down in one piece. Definately wanted my Pampers on!!!

Icansay that with a little adjustment It will fly but it may be a while for various reasons.

My camera man, Michael did get some pictures and I will post them tomorrow.

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/09/2018 18:33:43