Maidening soon!

AVC

Hi all. Since the first time that someone passed on to me the radio for first time some 28 years ago, to make some soft turns with my trainer, I always though that one day I'd love to do the same with someone else, i.e. to teach him to fly. And it seems that the time has come...

A couple of weeks ago I took my two kids (9 and 5) to Weston Park, and I bought a 2 hand Seagull Swift 40 with an Evolution 40NT (I think it is...) on the nose. It was a bit tatty and the engine was dirty up to the point that the throttle barrel was totally blocked, but all in all it looked ok.

I have replaced servos, reinforce the former B (the one that supports the wing by the l.e.) because I though that it was a bit weak, I soaked the engine in alcohol and warm it up so to release the throttle, and put it back again. Yesterday we tested the engine in the garden and it responded pretty well, so hopefully this week we will maiden it.

I though I'd like to share this little story. I'm trying to ensure that the hobby won't stop with me!

Below there's a photo of the Swift. I'll post comments and hopefully a little video of the maiden and the "lessons"

Swift 40

Advert

Thanks Nigel, indeed the Swift looks a 3rd scale in his hands haha.

The other rascal, the one at the back of the photo leaning on the table is the youngest, yet he is the most enthusiastic. And yes, a couple of years to your little one and he will be ready!

Here's George...my youngest & 8 years old at the time this was taken just after maidening his Chapter One that we built together....

1506270014.jpg

He seems to have lost interest these days & his elder brother was never even the slightest bit interested....the Xbox seems to have a much greater draw sadly....thinking

Good luck...it's a great hobby if you can get them into it.....it teaches so much & so many skills....thumbs up

Thanks Fly Boy, thanks Steve. Steve, I sort of know what you mean re the Xbox. We don’t have any of this type at home, nor PS, Wii or similar, but the kids seem to prefer spending time with the laptop or the tablet rather than helping me to build, repair or setup my models. A couple of years ago I was sorting out the garage (or pretending that I was...) and a little neighbor (4 years old at the time) came and had a look to the planes hanging of the ceiling. I asked him if he liked them, and he said that he had a planes’ games in his IPad, so I asked if he preferred the ones in the IPad or the real ones. Hi didn’t hesitate a second when responded “the IPad is much better!!”. Anyway, maiden is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I’ll try to bring some photos and maybe one video...

Kids are prolific within my own and my wider family network

For example, my brother had 8 children, resulting in 20 grandchildren

And on 2 occasions in my lifetime, the successful child flyer

Came from within themselves from their own desire

And not from any dream of mine or suggestion from myself

They have to want to do it

Edited By Denis Watkins on 26/06/2018 17:49:12

Posted by Denis Watkins on 26

And not from any dream of mine or suggestion from myself

They have to want to do it

Edited By Denis Watkins on 26/06/2018 17:49:12

Agreed to certain extent, Denis. I fully agree that we should not force them to do something that they definitely don’t like, but I what I definitely do is to suggest them to try different activities. We must give them options smiley

Yesterday looked like the perfect day for training a couple of newbies, so we grabbed the stuff and off we went to the strip.

The day was great (just a bit of cross-wind) and the plane flies great also. On top of that, the official trainer of the club, Eric, was yesterday there, so the kids had the chance to fly with him and with me (they prefer him, he doesn't shout at them! smiley).

The feedback of the kids is that they loved it, and they want to go back as soon as possible (so it seems that we have already plans for the weekend...).

Here are some pics, no video unfortunately.

img_0272.jpg

img_0274.jpg

img_0277.jpg

When i was a kid the sega megadrive was the game box of choice and in the days before you could save your progress and only one tv we were rarely permitted to play for more than an hour. That said, it didnt seem to bother us as we had plenty of lego and other things to play with. I wonder if kids these days only play xbox etc so much because they can? not that i envy any parent who has to try and remove the controller from the iron grip of their offspring!

In any case, i still play pc games and usually play for 3 or 4 hours given the chance. Normally though i play when the weather is too poor to go flying, or when its dark. I certainly wouldnt be caught inside playing pc games on a glorious sunny day.

I caught three little victims last year, all between six and nine. One was good enough to come off the trainer, and fly a Tundra, and a Flair DVII. Don't think I saw any growth there, but a seed was planted. That's all you can do.

Bit like the cocaine salesman at the school gate, without the money.

In any case, i still play pc games and usually play for 3 or 4 hours given the chance. Normally though i play when the weather is too poor to go flying, or when its dark. I certainly wouldnt be caught inside playing pc games on a glorious sunny day.

Fully agree. I don't play myself but I don't think that they are a bad thing, as long as they're used within the right dose. The problem is that kids don't quite get that concept of "right dose"...